• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

any way to increase vdimm w/out resistors?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

__TRONIK__

hi all - I am running geil golden dragon mem, a very volt hungry chip. I had many problems with it origianlly, even running it stock, until I got it to 2.9vdimm. It's tested @ factory up to 3.1 vdimm - is there anyway to pump it up this high without soldering those resistors in as I have seen? I am not against soldeirng, I just can find the darn resistors - radio sahck didnt have em. Is there any penil trick or the like?

Nope ... and that vdimm mod is on a tiny resistor unfortunatly... Can't remeber does that require the 5K pot or the 10K pot...? Anycase Radioshack usually has them ... but you can order them online...google it.

It's actually 1K, and I grabbed mine at RatShack. In fact I am doing this very mod tonight.

And there is a pencil version here

Maxi~

was looking for a means of increasing vdimm with a pencil. already did the vdd with a pencil. Guess ill have to find that resistor......

Got to thinking about it and the pencil trick should work for vdimm...unfortunately I know no way to measure the change so it will be a little less controlled. just put some graphit on that tiny resistor and see if you get a gain...don't use a mechanical pencil though.....pray it dosn't do any damage.

thanks - I should have remembered that page - i have seen it before. so my understanding is this: in this picture, i would trace the top and sides of the chip (or is it bottom and sides?)

solder_points.jpg

I am not too worried about overvolting since i have up to 3.1 as the rated volts of my ram. It is supposed to run cool as well. I'll probably handle it like I handled the vdd - make 3-4 good passes with a pencil and let it be. I have no multi to test so I try and underdo it to be on the safe side. Eventually I'll get a multi and tighten things up. Thanks for the help everyone. 2500mhz here I come!

__TRONIK__ said:
yo - can anyone tell me if i should be tracing the top or the bottom here?

doesn't matter, just so your marks connect the solder joints on either end of the resistor it will lessen the resistance.

good luck!

J.

Back