• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I need more memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

walkitiki

As of right now, I have 256MB of Crucial PC2100 with Winbond chips and my system specs are listed below. I am new to building computers, but so far I've gotten the hang of it, now I just want some advice as to what I need to upgrade my memory for increased performance. I've been looking at some Kingston memory, the most I want to pay is around 80 dollars. Thanks for any advice.

_tiki

I you can afford 512MB that would be great....beyond that you have to be hard core to utliize it....for now. I believe I picked up 512MB of Kingston HyperX 3200 for around $120 but you should be able to find 2100 for much less if that is what you are using.

Try pricewatch.com or pricegrabber.com for a good way to find cheap parts.

I would definitely buy a stick of faster 512 meg RAM and sell your old RAM. No sense getting more PC2100 because it's pretty much obsolete and won't be much good when you upgrade your system in the future. I'd shop around for good PC3200 if you can swing it. I think both Kingston and Corsair have PC3200 sticks of 512 meg RAM in their value line or $80 to $90 or so. PC2700 would be the minimum I'd recommend and if you get the right RAM, PC2700 will often overclock very nicely, lots of time up to at least PC3200 speeds, especially if you get the Winbond BH-5 chips on the RAM.

Back