• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best way to attach Heat Sink on southbridge?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Afternoon guys and gals,

I have a A7N8X and have been reading the onboard sound starts to mess up sometimes while playing games.
If i attach a H/S to the southbridge will this solve this one?
How is the best way of doing this?
Also is it worth putting a better sink on the northbridge as well the silver one gets very hot.
Can you get some glue or something?
Cheers.
Have a good day.
Malc.

A simple 40mm fan on the NB will suffice. For the southbridge people have used mixtures of Arctic Alumina and epoxy resin in 50:50 for attaching the HS to it. This allows it to be pried off at a later date :)

I'm also wondering about chipset cooling - after the VDD volt mod (putting the VDD at 1.85) will I *need* S-Bridge cooling, and active N-Bridge cooling? Or will the stock heatsink on the N-Bridge, and the nothingness on the S-Bridge suffice? My S-bridge is blazing hot to the touch already...

I plan to move the stock N-Bridge passive heatsink to the S-Bridge, and put a waterblock on the N-Bridge, is this overkill?

I attached a 40 mm fan to my stock Northside at this time. I just ordered a Zalman Gold for the North & will attach the fan to the heatsink.

I have a Vantec thin green heatsink on the south attached with thermo tape. I can remove it real easy in case I have to RMA this board back to Asus.

I looked at the new Swiftech cooler, but I don't know if I can squeeze it on my M/B with using the Swiftech 462-V CPU Heatsink.

Pat.

Pat

Back