• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I've decided to join the A64 bandwagon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fuzzy

I have it all planned out, all the computers in my house will be sold to make the fastest computer I have ever owned :p

The problem arises though with either KT800 or the Nforce3. Ive been waiting for an awesome review to come out for both types but nothing so far that really helped me to decide. I was looking at the Asus kt800 board and the gigabyte nforce 3 board :/

Is it too early to be asking this question? :eek: I remember when [H] first reviewed the A64 and P4EE and couldn't get the Nforce3 to run 3dmark and that got me nervous about buying one but the KT800 seems weaker to the Nforce3 now after reading [H] review on the MSI board.

Also please post the reviews of boards you've seen on the net as I have a lot of free time to start readin, and I wanna make sure I didn't miss a review :p

What OS are you going to use?
AFAIK the MS Windows for 64 bit is not out yet and when it is it will probably be very expensive.
I did some checking on building an A64 rig and just the mainboard, CPU and 2 gig of memory(which is what they predict the Windoes 64 bit will need) would run in the neighborhood of $1000 US. And that is just those 3 things. Who knows what else will be needed when we find out our older drives, power supply etc will not work.

For me, it will be at least 2 more years before I would consider such a move.
But that's just me!:D

im gona use windows 2k for now so I know everything will work hopefully, and at newegg to buy 3200, new asus board, 1gb of corsair xms 3200 and a 9800 pro 256 mb was 1200 :D

From the reviews that I read it seems like everything else will work perfectly ..... I hope :/

Sounds like you have been doing your homework!:)

I guess I should have elaborated more. When I doubted the other stuff would work, I was thinking in terms of the 64 bit OS, since I have not been convinced that it will be fully backward compatible with 32 bit software and equipment. Currently, as I see it, the lack of an affordable 64 bit OS seriously restricts the desirability of the move to 64 bit hardware. Like someone has said, it is like buying a Porche to drive around town.
But, I also see a great opportunity for the introduction of a new contender in the desktop OS world. Since much of the code needed for 64 bit seems to be as yet 'unwritten', someone could begin the advance of a new OS for the mainstream that could seriously compete with MS....or maybe not!
:D

Back