• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbi timing question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KVWire

My system in being shipped now.
P4 2.4C
Asus P4C800-E
Mushkin Level II PC3500 2X512

This is a 3D rig. I'm a game artist. Mythica

Anyway, when I assemble what should by bios settings for my memory be if I want to overclock to 3.2GHz? Stock cooling, great case cooling (Kingwin KT-436). Do I use a ratio of 5:4 with 2-2-2-6 or 2-3-2-6? I understand the 5:4 ratio, but get a little lost on the timing numbers.

Thanks for your help.

KV

set the timings to 2-2-2-6 and up the fsb as much as u can if it becomes unstable loosen timings up to about 2.5-3-3-7 and if MEMORY becomes unstable again up the voltage on the Vdimm

but make sure its the memory unstable not the CPU before upping the voltage :)

if you can run 2-2-2-6 then by all means do so!

btw: good luck with oc'ing to 3.2, im gonna OC my new 2.4c too, im hoping to get near 3.5 with a lot of trouble :)

At 267 FSB (3.2 gig), you'll need to use the 5:4 ratio which will give you DDR427. That should allow tight timings such as 2-3-2-6. Seems like Canterwoods prefer 3 for the RAS to CAS for some odd reason. You might be able to use 5 on the cycle time, but your mileage may vary when it comes to RAM timings. Make sure you lock the PCI/AGP to default.

Here is what I can get with my OCZ PC3500 EL:

2400C-cpuz-mem.jpg

Steven, how do I know it's the memory that's unstable and not the CPU?

Anandtech said the same thing about the 2-3-2-6. Thanks for the screendump. I had no idea what those windows even look like.

Lock down the PCI/AGP? Is that to force them to 33/66? How do I lock them down?

Jognt, 3.5 with stock fan? Or are you updating the heatsink/fan.

Thanks so much for the replys. Huge help.

KV

I think the only other thing is how do I lock the PCI/AGP to default. I'm sure it's obvious, but I don't have the system set up yet, so I can't look at the screens.

Thanks.
KV

Should be on the same BIOS menu that the CPU FSB and multiplier settings are on. You want to "fix" or "lock" the PCI/AGP to default 33/66 MHz. I usually leave the RAM timings relaxed at first (higher numbers) or set the memory to SPD (auto). Then after you play around and find your CPU/system limits, then go back and fine tune with the RAM timing.

Back