• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memtest 86

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stan03

Can this be run to test dual channel stability? for some reason when my RAM is stable in this, i cannot boot into windows.... and its not the cpu because i have had the cpu set much faster and have it boot into windows fine. im pretty sure its the ram. timsins are 2-3-2-5

Just run prime95 in windows. I know that atleast in the newest version you can chose what to "stress" the most. Mem..cpu ....blend etc.

try it out..

I test stability with memtest, and if it does'nt give me errors within a few hours I have never had to do anything to gain stability apart from adding voltage to the processor.

Memtest86 is all memory, which is good for you. If you want to test memory stability run Memtest86, also for Dual Channel :)

Suma said:
run Memtest86, also for Dual Channel :)

whats also for dual channel? memtest 86? it reports my bandwith at around 2200 which is exactly half of what sandra reports.... and also even when memtets 86 is fine, i can't boot into windows, and i am pretty much positive its because of RAM.

Hmm.. Intersting, how can you be positive it's the ram.
I'll tell you, run A-sync with like 50% (or the lowest ratio possible) and then check it.

btw, what fsb are you running at the moment?

I had the exact same problem, plauged me for days, swapped out parts, rest cmos (even the way with no battery, and no power etc), tried reinstalling windows (hung there) flashed bios etc etc etc, basiclaly i just let it sit for a few days, tore it apart, put it together on my floor, and it worked and put it back in my case. I honestly have no idea what i did that my have fixed it, or what cased it to screw up, but windows would not boot and memtest 86 ran fine, and i had cpu at defaults even...

oh well

Suma said:
Hmm.. Intersting, how can you be positive it's the ram.
I'll tell you, run A-sync with like 50% (or the lowest ratio possible) and then check it.

btw, what fsb are you running at the moment?

A-sync.....? sorry what? well the ram won't go into windows at 215 and at 207 prime starts gettings errors even at 2-3-3-6 timings with 0.3volts. if i restore all the settings to stock everything is fine and if i use like a 5:4 divider my cpu can do like 230 on stock voltages so im pretty sure its the RAM.... pci and everything are locked too.

Does memtest86 give errors @ 207 with those timings?
btw, A-sync is running the one part "slower" then another. not in Sync. For our issue running the memory slower then the fsb, that means that the memory will work @ (for instance) 50% of the fsb if the fsb is 200 then the memory will be @ 100.
Understood?

Suma said:
Memtest86 is all memory, which is good for you. If you want to test memory stability run Memtest86, also for Dual Channel :)

Memtest can test the northbridge to an extent too.

Suma said:
Does memtest86 give errors @ 207 with those timings?
btw, A-sync is running the one part "slower" then another. not in Sync. For our issue running the memory slower then the fsb, that means that the memory will work @ (for instance) 50% of the fsb if the fsb is 200 then the memory will be @ 100.
Understood?

no it does not give me errors.... oh yea i can run 5:4 ratio, but then that defeats the purpose of overclocking my ram :D

Back