• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit nf7-s 2.0 problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Elcroato

Registered
hey guys,

I just got this motherboard and have some nitpicking problems.
I haven't installed many games yet, but the ones i did install, i noticed a kind stutter in the graphics. For example in Quake 3, Im getting 250fps at 1600 x 1200, but the graphics stutter occasionally during intense situations. I tried running it at lower resolutions and it still kept on occuring. I installed all of the latest drivers for my hardware, to little or no avail. I think there was a slight improvement after installing the latest nforce drivers. It also seems to be happening in Serious Sam, although not as much.

Here is a brief summary of my setup:
Abit nf7-s 2.0
Athlon xp 2500+
dual channel 512mb ddr pc2700
Gforce4 4200 ti
WD 60gb hd

Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be?
Thank you for any feedback.

regards

Are you running all your components at stock settings? What are your RAM timings in your BIOS? Is CPU interface enabled? Need some more info before we can fully troubleshoot whats going on.

thanks for the reply

Im running everything at stock, but i tried adjusting the memory.
I set it at 2.0cl 2 2 6 at 6\6 ratio. The memory seems to be running fine at those settings(tested it with Sandra si), but does not have an effect on the "graphics stutter." CPU interface is not enabled.

It happened to me and it turned out to be the drives were somehow set to PIO mode.

Maybe check that out.

Maxi~

Yes the graphics card is 4x agp 64mb. In quake it's possible to set a max fps, and even at 125fps the "stuttering" occured. But you do have a valid point about this gfx card not being able to handle the fps without a cap.

Ill check the PIO, doubt that that's the problem though. Are there any other default BIOS settings that are not good for performance?

You said that the CPU interface is not enabled. I'm pretty sure that having this disabled gives you noticably less performance. You might want to check it out.

I improved the "video stutter" quite a bit by disabling
System Bios Cacheable and Video Ram Cacheable.

I also tried to enable cpu interface, but no improvement was evident.

Thanks for the replies

Try running memtest86 on your memory. If i remember correctly i had a bad stuttering problem with RTCW because my RAM was OC'd too high. See what you get out of that.

Back