• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

K7S5A cannot set 133/133FSB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CrackerZ

I have been reading SOLID for about a week now, the story goes a little like this....

Have a K7S5A v3.1 with 021029.ROM (Latest official BIOS)
Recently Purchased a THOROUGHBRED ATHLON XP 2400+ CPU
Recently Purchased a PNY 256MB DDR RAM PC2100

'Stuck em in' the appropriate slots and hey presto...

BIOS sees an Athlon XP 1800+

Read a few forums and learn to set the FSB in the BIOS to the available 133/133. Apparently this board supports it, so why not.

Machine will not boot at this speed.

Go through the steps of reseating the SiS735 chipset heatsink and using nice compound instead of the double sided tape. Still no play..

I have a large heatsink and Coolermaster fan flowing on the CPU so i do not think that is too hot. I have seen forums posting hoster CPU temps than mine.

I have tried cheepoman's bios and managed to get the machine booting at 124/124 giving 2200+ plus I saw totally random lockups when booted, so I chose to go back to safe.

My computer will run at 100/133 but games don't seem to like that and again some lockups experienced so far.

I believe that this chipset does not like these to be running at different speeds..

There you go...

What I would like to know if what specifically is stopping my system from allowing a 133/133 setting? Thats the annoying thing, just not working at all at this mode is pants. It could at least give me a clue

I do not want to mess around with the Vcore settings and be scratching up my CPU to join bridges and that, I just want what I paid for...

P.S. Before you say it, I know the K7S5A isn't a clocking board and I know it's cheap, but it still should what it says on the tin?

Any help would be much appreciated.

That board is unstable if your power supply is only mediocre. I'd try another psu.

You could take a look under the bios for the voltage rails to see if the're well below what they should be, on the Hardware Monitor page. I'd look to see if you have voltage problems at 133/133 or even 124/124.

Mike

johnoh: Thanks for the reply mate. I forgot to mention in my post that a new PSU was also part of this story. I bought a JSP SWITCHING POWER SUPPLY 400W from the computer fair on sunday. Just tried to find it on the web without much prevail (Hope thats not a bad omen)

MikeBD35: Thanks for this tip. I was reading today at work regarding the percentage resistance in the rails. I will have a go now and see what sort of readings I get..

I will update this post in about 30 - 40 Mins.. assuming all goes well

I write with a litte tear in my eye. I have to say the immortal words "Misson accomplished"..here's the facts.

As MikeBD35 said, check the voltages..

Rebooted PC and took recordings of current voltages etc..from the hardware monitor in the BIOS

I also made a note of the CPU Temp which was 60C/140F

Rebooted and set the ratio to 133/133. Save, Exit & Reboot

Immediately notice a 12C jump in the CPU TEMP....Whooooa this looks a little funny. Sanity checked the Voltages and all looked reasonable.

Decided that the jump of 12C was too much, so I thought I would hook it out and reseat it.

Here comes the stewpid! bit...

1/5 of the CPU was not covered by the Heatsink...

Took the heatsink/fan off and noticed a slight tan in that area of the CPU...

Reseated the heatsink the correct way
Rebooted, went to hardware monitor page

and the CPU TEMP was......

36C/96F

Case solved.

Your replies johnon and MikeBD35 gave me the spur I needed to start re-thinking the game plan.

I now reply to you in full 2.0Ghz

I will try to hover the forum offering advice where I can

Try a cheapoman or honey bios. They are hacked bioses that have more options for FSB above 133.

Back