• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows will not boot after installing more RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BPM

I tried installing another 256 MB stick of RAM today on top of the 256 MB I already have. Both sticks are exactly the same (brand, size, etc.).

I installed the new stick, and when I started up the computer, I received this error when Windows normally loads:
"Windows could not start because the following file was missing or corrupt:
\windows\system32\config\system

Select 'r' at the first screen to repair"

So... I put in the Windows XP installation cd but as it was loading files, it seems to get stuck at the same spot every time. It freezes when the bottom of the screen says this:
"Setup is loading file (KERNEL DEBUGGER DLL)"

I even tried putting the RAM in a different slot, results were the same.

The computer only runs if I take out the additional RAM :( :rolleyes:

Any ideas?

have u got the ram running at stock

take the one out that was in before and use the other see if its that stick

put both back in a run memtest86

also make sure the timings are normal

Thats the XP reinstall protection thing. what stage in the "copying files" does it hang? when after you select r to repair or while its loading setup or while its trying to repair itself?

pik4chu said:
Thats the XP reinstall protection thing. what stage in the "copying files" does it hang? when after you select r to repair or while its loading setup or while its trying to repair itself?
When the error pops up , pressing any key reboots the system.

As I have stated above, when I insert the XP cd and boot from CD, the Setup hangs when it indicates "Setup is loading file (KERNEL DEBUGGER DLL)"

Ok, I did more testing with this.

I tested each stick of RAM individually in all of the slots. Both sticks work fine individually, but adding the other stick, in any slot, results in the error.

If you are running the sticks in duel then that may be your problem. Two different sticks cannot be used together, try using them in single if you haven't already. Or just lose the 256 stick, I'm sure it isn't doing that much.

he said they were identical sticks and both are 256MB but I would check the dual channel thing to be sure

*edit* btw, this doesnt happen to be a Dell does it?

wannaoc said:
If you are running the sticks in duel then that may be your problem. Two different sticks cannot be used together, try using them in single if you haven't already.
They are the same sticks, same brand, size, speed, etc.

Or just lose the 256 stick, I'm sure it isn't doing that much.
I'm pretty sure doubling my RAM will make a difference ;)

btw, this doesnt happen to be a Dell does it?
No, this PC was built by me.

What is this talk about checking the Dual Channel thing? How do I check that?

dual channel is generally configured in the BIOS check under "advanced options" not quite sure where it is in the BIOS since I havent needed to turn it off. the manual for your mobo will prolly tell you

Ok, I went into the BIOS and I see no option to enable/disable Dual Channel or anything else having to do with Dual Channel :rolleyes:

Sorry about that I must have read it wrong. :rolleyes:. Have you tried to move the sticks out of the duel channel slots? I know my NF7-S has slots that work as single and slots that work as duel but I'm not sure about your board..

wannaoc said:
Sorry about that I must have read it wrong. :rolleyes:. Have you tried to move the sticks out of the duel channel slots? I know my NF7-S has slots that work as single and slots that work as duel but I'm not sure about your board..
All of my slots appear to be the same.

Ok, here's the screens from running Memtest 86.

1st stick of 256:

memtest1.jpg

2nd stick of 256, same slot:

memtest2.jpg

Both sticks together, 1st run:

memtest3.jpg

Both sticks together, 2nd run:

memtest4.jpg

Back