• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie seeks assistance. . .

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Duff

Registered
Been on the board here for about two weeks now.
Found it after purchasing an Aquarius II cooling (yeah right) system. I know everyone probably asks for help with there tweaking, and I'm no different. I've got lots of toys here and want to use them to nearly their maximum capabilities.

WILLING TO TWEAK ALMOST EVERYTHING! ! !

They include:
P4 2.4Ghz (533FSB) Northwood CPU
Soyo Dragon Ultra Mobo with the Sis 645 chipset.
Currently have 1Gig of Infinion mem with CL 2.5--stock speed--
Radeon 8500 (with 64Mb mem)--stock speed--
Western Digital 80 Gig WD800 (with 8 Mb Cache) HD
Maxtor 40 Gig(4D040H2) (with 2Mb Cache) HD
Onboard audio and LAN (but I have cards to replace if it helps-Soundblaster Live! Value and Linksys LAN cards)
Using Charter Cable Internet
Micron 19" TFT monitor (using 1024x768 setting for display)
USB keyboard by Mitsumi
USB mouse - Logitech MX700
O/S - Bills XP with SP1 updated

Items to slow computer down - Epson Stylus Pro 750 USB printer
- HP ScanJet 4300C USB also.
- FujiFilm xD Card USB reader.

I'm considering getting another video card. Leaning towards the 9700 because the 9800 is too d&mn expensive. Also searching actively for individual componants to make another cooling system-1/2" size. The Aquarius II is running almost IDENTICAL temperatures to my stock air system.

Willing to take all serious ideas - Throwning the system out the window is almost serious too.

What have you overclocked this too so far? What speed is your RAM? What is your video card budget? If you get the Rafeon 9700, make sure it's the Pro.

Sadly, I've tried overclocking recently (as in today on the phone with Soyo for an hour) and found my Infinion DDR333 is so picky, it won't overclock. . . keeps crashing on me if I try. . .won't even clear the Windows XP screen before crashing :(
Budget. . .still working on that. . . but so far, EVERYTHING is stock speed.

Check to see if you can adjust the memory ratio or the memory timing. If you can change the ratio, try dropping down to 1:1 and/or if you can change the timing, use higher numbers. You can't even do 140 FSB (2.52 gig)? Does this mobo allow setting the PCI/AGP speed to default (lock it to 33/66)?

It (the motherboard) has the ability to be clocked anywhere from 100-199, but the stock speed is 133. I've adjusted to 145 when I had my PC2100 memory in just fine. But with the new PC2700 Infinion memory, if I adjust it to 135, it reboots itself just as it gets to the Windows startup screen. I clock it back down to 133 and it's just fine.
The AGP and PCI's have clock adjusters on them also. The AGP has options of lock at 66, 66, 75 and 90 I think. The speed changes when I change the FSB. The graphics seems to work fine at 66 and 75. Haven't tweaked the PCI, but the only thing I have PCI'd is a USB card. Using the onboard audio and LAN connections.

Back