• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

One stick or two?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jimmy53

Ive got my NF7-S and im about to RMA my crucial stick. Replacing it with Muskin L2 black. Should I get 2 of 256 or 1 of 512? There seems to be a general consensus that the dual channel for my board doesnt do much, and Im taking into consideration if I wanted to upgrade to a gig later. This is a gaming system. Only gaming. Thanks for your advice!

I recall the common thoughts are, if you want better performance w/o overclock, use 2 sticks for dual channel, if you intend to overclock, you can get higher with a single stick

the difference in overclocking is so minimal that i would get two sticks.

just search around the forums for people running nf7's in DC - 99% of them are doing at least 215-220mhz fsb.

Great! I cant get a consensus by reading through all the message boards and now I cant get one by asking a question directly. James Miller, apearently the difference in dual channel is equally as minimal. Im not sure what to do...

well that depends really.

the difference in oc is minimal
the difference in performance is minimal
the difference in price is minimal

given the price, id get two sticks. even the improvement is only 5-7% max, thats still an improvement.

Thats a good point, the only other thing to consider is if I get one stick now of 512 and I need a gig later on I will be able to upgrade and get dual channel at the same time. There are such good arguments for either side that I may as well just flip a coin...

You could always go w/ 1 512k stick of ddr now. When you want to upgrade, pick up another 512k ddr stick. Pop 'em into the 1 & 3 ram slots on your motherboard. Easy dual-channel mode.

I would recommend a single stick if you ever think you'll need more RAM, since dual channel boards usually only have 3 slots unless its a server type board or a pricey regular one. So if you got 2*256, the max you could get would 256 more (or 512 if feel like trying it) if you get a single stick, you can get more RAM into your system with fewer upgrades.

Back