• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P3B-F and P-III/933 (both Slot-1) do not work together

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Faza

Hello folks! I need your help.
I am newbie at this forum and before posting this I've spent many days reading it. Haven't found the answer.

The problem I've discovered is that my "new" Pentium-III /933/256/133 Slot-1 processor, just bought from eBay, does not want to work in my "old" P3B-F. Any kind of combination in DIP-switch does not help, even if I set jumpers for CPU/DRAM to work at 66 MHz and PCI 33 MHz. "Jumperfree" mode doesn't help too. No post, nothing at all happens, except the speaker emits siren sound.

A few words about my hardware configuration:
P3B-F rev.1.03,
BIOS Award ver. 6 with the latest BIOS ver. 1008 beta 004
CPU Pentium-III 933/256/133/1.7V S1 SL4BT
Memory: 2 modules - NCP 128 MB PC133 and Hynyx 256 MB Sync 133MHz (either of the two not working with this CPU)
No AGP card but I use ATi Radeon PCI Video instead for testing.
HDD, FDD, CDROM - all disconnected for testing.

All the listed hardware components are working with CPU Pentium-II 450 Slot-1, but my son want to have his computer to be working faster. Some new games refuse to run on this slow CPU.

And the question - is that particular CPU is faulty, or it shouldn't work with my motherboard in any configuration at all? Where is my mistake?

Thank you very much in advance!

I do not believe that mobo supports the EB series of procs. If you had a PIII that is 100 MHz bus, it would work a treat.

I changed all frquency settings with switches on mobo, and as a first step I set FSB 66 Mhz. It didn't work.

BTW, what is "EB series of proc"?

Thanks

PIII 933 EB..............that's a pentium 3 that runs on a 133MHz FSB.
I think they only included th "EB" on procs that they had also made a 100 MHz version.
Just like the "E" series were procs that came in 100 MHz but had a 66 MHz counterpart.

First try to run it with 7x100Fsb. If not works your CPU is probably bad. Later try to update your bios to latest revision. If still not works, remove all unnecessary PCI cards and remove the Lithium battery for at least 1 hour. Your NV Ram and all bios setting will disappear including your clock. But after inserting the Lithium battery, use your old 450 CPU and then try the new 933 one with 7x100Mhz again.

Hope it works...

Back