• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help real bad guys.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hi all,

I just installed a new A7N8X DLX mother board rev 2.0
My old mother board stopped working which was a non dlx.
Well after i got this dlx i went into the bios changed from 100fsb to 166 and changed the system to agressive.
Changed the time date saved and exit.
Now when i turn the pc on i just get my hdd and powler light just stay on no boot.
So i thought strange i moved the jumper on the cmos no joy same thing.
So then i moved the jumper over unplugged the pc and left the battery out for a min.
Still i have no joy.
I got this mb with a new barton 2500.
I could rma it back but can't afford to untill payday 24th i just hope that will not be too late for new egg.
I heard somewhere on this forum before you can make a floppy with the bios on and award flash and take the agp video card out and it may auto sort the bios out. If one of you guys can tell me what to do in detail that would be very helpful.
Maybe that will get me working.
Also i looked on the bios chip on the board it has 1005 on it.
Well i hope you all can give me some good ideas.
thanks.
Malc.

Whats the voltage on the battery ? Try changing it somtimes it fails to save to bios or messes it up. Its been posted before that the board was dead them wham with a new battery it lives. Had issues with mine saving setting until i installed an energizer. Might help ... but now i put a new battery in just for safety on any board i get.

I copied this from a forum post. Could come in handy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is just something to work with to try and salvage your board.

Asus has a bios savior feature in some of their boards, the a7n8x has it. If you remove your video card and turn on your machine, the lack of video detection causes it to seek to boot a dos disk from a floppy. That's the bootblock routine.

Just remove all pci/agp cards, put the bootable floppy with the relevant copy of awardflash and a copy of the bios file you want it to flash. Have an autoexec.bat file with the awardflash command with the proper switches and bios filename.

It should autoflash at boot, you wont be able to see it because the video card is out, but when it is finished the computer should beep like crazy.

You need to create a bootable dos disk containing the following files

1.) the copy of awardflash for your machine. 2.) a copy of the bios file you wish to flash with. 3.) an autoexec.bat file (created with a text editor) containing the following line.....
Awdflash.exe biosfilename.bin /py /sn /cd /cp /cc /LD /R

**replace the biosfilename.bin with the name of the bios file on your disk**

Just something to try and save your board from the scrapheap

Al

Check your CPU FSB frequency jumper settings on the MB. There are two settings, one for 200 MHz only and the other is 100/133/166/200. My MB came set at 200 MHz and I has to move jumper to match my CPU FSB speed.

Disregard my previous post. if you have two sticks of memeory installed, remove the memory stick on slot 3. Leave the other installed. Power up unit and you should post. Change memory settings to auto and install RAM back to slot 3. It should work.

Sounds like BIOS corruption :(.

You really need to buy yourself a new BIOS chip, ASUS will replace it through RMA for free, or you can go the quick route and buy a new one from www.badflash.com

If you don't know which chip type to buy, just write your board revision and name "ASUS A7N8X-Deluxe Revision 2.0" in the message box that is sent to them, and also tell them you don't know which BIOS chip type to use, or which BIOS file.

They will get everything right for you - Jack, the guy who runs this store, is a really nice guy, and the customer support is just incredible.

I have tried eveything guys the board will not look the the floppy driver.
Also i should have said this did not know it would make a difference but after reading more about bios and stuff.
When i hit save and exit the pc restarted faster than my old asus non dlx board would have.
So i am thinking it did not save it right and i am just unlucky.
I changed the battery as well out of two other mb i have no joy same thing.
In the end i sent the board back fedex today to newegg so hopefully only another week to wait and i should have a working pc again.
Thanks for your efforts have a good one.
Malcolm.

Go into your bios, and adjust what you want. Make sure the floppy seek is enabled and your catch are enabled.
When you save to the BIOS, the computer will restart. Before the Restart, Press and Hold the TAB Button until you see the black screen with your memory count and your CPU name. By pressing the TAB Button, it somehow forces your BIOS to keep the setting and load windows. BUT, if it freezes at the Windows logo or something than you have to restart and adjust your BIOS again.
ie: Vcore 1.850+, FSB 200(400), 11.5x Multiplier, etc.

Good Luck

P2p that is right mate.
Another board is on the way should be with me on firday.
I may not even bother to put it in the case justm try it outside first.
I have read on here the last few days these bios cmos chips are not very reliable.
I think i will do what felinusz said and get a chip from badguys.com as backup.
Someone also said to me to get a good battery as some on these boards are no good.
Every day is a school day you learn something every day.
Malc.

What you just described is exactly want I have encounter....a bad bios chip. No worry, just order a spare bios chip from Assus and you can reflash the bad chip and keep the other good chip as spare. Read my post on hot flash.

Back