• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best pentium 4 mobo ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EBH

I know close to nothing on socket 478 mobos... so i wanted to ask here.... (considering that the abit nf7-s is the best socket a mobo for oc)

Which is the best socket 478 mobo (not just speed, but oc capabilities - change the vcore, change the memmory timings, etc... i hate the way you can change the vcore at gigabyte motherboards: that +5, 7.5, and 10%)

hewh me too, about dram ratios, will a 5/4 divider let the ram run at stock speeds and make the fsbrun at 240? So if thats correcxt i could overclock my 3.0 with stock ram speed. before you say anything there is an article somewhere saying how latency is better than bandwidth. so if i use my corsair pc 3200ll itd be good. is this correct or do i need to buy some of that pc 3700-4000 ? am i correct or is it also not a 5/4 ratio but the 4/5 ratio? Is that possible?

At 240 fsb the ram will run at 192. To figure the ram speed at 5/4 just multiply the fsb X .8. If your corsair is bh-5 you may have a good chance of running 1/1 at 240, but you'll have to give it some juice. For my money I'll stay with the tight timings and run 5/4 if you have to.

thats so sweet but what kinda hit for performance hit am i talking about doing that? i know ram timings are better but i think i would be really cutting it close...

I Unfortunately have some corsiar pc-3200LL that is CH5 based.
I know the problem with the divider with Ch5 memory over 250 fsb but if my calculation are right all i need is 240. 240x15 is 3.6 correct? and 15 is the divider for a 3.0C? what should i do? ive seen a review that said their corsiar pc3200LL was able to hit 220 and maintain the tight timings. I want the most performace i can get so what should i do? do the 5;4 divider thing or try my luck at hitting 240 1;1( can I ? and i thought that tight timings were more beneficial than the bandwidth, and running at 240 fsb you owuld have to raise the latency right?)I want 3.6 ghz or a little more and i want it to be the best 3.6 that is possible wiith my hardware. a note is that i have watercooling to accompany my max3 so that might change something... sorry for the double post i forgot to hit edit and remembered while i was almost done.

I think you'd have trouble running 1/1 at 240 and tight timings with ch-5 chips. From my own experience and from what I've read your machine should be faster at 5/4 and 2-2-2-5 than 1/1 and loose timings. I don't have much personal experience with ch-5 chips, but I would think you could run 2-2-2-5 at 192. Or you could buy some bh-5 and run it at 3.2 and have a very good chance of running 1/1 at 240 and 2-2-2-5.

one last thing; poeple are reporting that with ch5 memory the computer does not post with any ratio besides 1:! at any speed. SHould i go buy some bh5 Ram? What should i choose? consideringi am buying new ram neway is it possible to get the best of both worlds? I think mushkin lvl 2 can keep it's tight timings at over 220 fsb.

If it were me I'd get some different ram. I've had good luck with the hyperx that I have but I would probably get the mushkin lvl 2. The other good choice that comes to mind is the hyperx 3200, make sure its not A and the bufalo pc3700 if newegg has some with bh-5 chips. With any of these sticks and enough voltage you should be able to get 240 and 1/1 with 2-2-2-5 timings

sorry to bother again but i see mushkin level II black dual kits for sale on their websitequite expensive for 2x 256 mb at 212 dollars, I am thinking of getting 2 kits so i have 4x 256mb. anandtewch said that was best. neway should it be pretty easy for me to hit 2-2-2-5 at 240fsb? I can add voltage (i thinmk it goes al the way to 3.2!) so if all this is right i should spend 200 bones for some awesome memory and get what i am looking for?

240 fsb is unbeleivably high for 2-2-2-5 as most say. but i did find one thread on some forum saying he got his at 235 with the tight timings. he onlky used2.7 volts too so i could get 240 if i raised it some.

First, you'll have a more trouble getting that high of fsb with 4 sticks. I'd stay with two and go with 512. 512 overcloocks better than 1g. If you look at newegg their selling the mushkin for $174. I'm running 247 at 2-2-2-5 and F1 using 3.2v. You should also check the stablity of the mem voltage on your board. Some have had fluctuations above 2.8v

i would use 512 but i need 1 gig for battlefield 1942, what do i do, i thought that since 256 modules have the least memeroy they would oc better than others. and some tech website said that they tested and got a 30% difference in performance when they used fair matched sticks vs 2. im stuck what do i do? will 4x 256 absolutely not work well for me? cause i need more than 512.

Back