• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

corsair pc4000 or OCZ pc4000?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eliteoneXP

I want to grab 2 sticks of 512MB but confused as to which one to get. I want the corsair because of the cool looking LEDs but from reviews it seems the OCZ is the better way to go performance wise and overclocking wise. Which would you guys get?

Yeah, uhhh.... go with OCZ. Sorry, I love Corsair and everything, but really, who the heck cares about an LED telling you your memory is being used?!

Your an overclocker - I see it in your sig. Go with what clocks better.

I should have put this in my original post but i totally forgot about it. My 2.8 P4 only goes to 243 FSB on my Abit IC7-max3 board(forgot to update my sig) so thats as far as the memory is going to go.

Well, either memory modules you are looking at buying will hit 243 (I would hope, anyway). So I guess it's up to you. If you want to pay more for the lights, go ahead. IMHO, it's a waste of $$.

Then again, from your sig, you look like you REALLY like hardware. If that's what you like, go for more and get the lighted Modules.

I HAVE 3500 OCZ(the harder i push it the faster it wants to go).
currently i have it stable at 482mhz(3.51v)<<<yes im very serious it seems to be getting better not sure how but anyway i think u know what i would go with..

later radman

why spend more for something that is still worse. If that link had game accelerator set to f1 there would have been a huge advantage to the bh-5.

bh-5 is vastly superior...don't get pc4x00 until bh-4 comes out.

Re: ...

gouda96 said:
When I just returned to my computer I had recieved this lone message..."OCZSean (6:57:26 PM): BH-4's"...He has not responded yet...that is all I have for now...

keep us updated...

Ok I recenly built my P4-C 2.6 computer and was facing the same dilemma. Go with the OCZ-Gold dualchannel or the corsair Twinx Pro PC4000 or the Corsair TwinX PC4000.
I must have read dozens of reviews on the subject alot of them featuring the ABIT IC7-Max 3 board aswell.

Some reviews favored the OCZ gold, some the corsair twinX pro. Some sites did not manage to overclock either one of the modules much over 265Mhz FSB others claimed to have been able to run it stable at around 280 - 285 Mhz FSB. To be honest after hours of reading I wasnt a step closer to making my decision just more confused. For every review or comparison telling me how good the OCZ was I could put an test against it where the Corsair came out as being superior. At the end I rounded up all the reviews I could find and compiled the results. And came up with the following conclusion for myself.

-TwinX Pro DOES run slightly faster then the non pro
-The Corsair memory does run slightly faster and at better timings then the OCZ-Gold when not overclocked but the OCZ pulls up even when you go into heavy overclocking
-Both OCZ gold and Corsair TwinX Pro have about the same maximum overclock often the reviewers tought the Bios version was keeping the memory from achieving the maximum overclock
- 3-4-4-8 Is about as sharp a timing as you will ever get on both sticks once you pass the 265 Mhz.

Ranking
1: Corsair TwinX PRO pc4000
2: OCZ-PC 4000 Gold
3: Corsair TwinX PC4000

There wasnt much difference between the 1 and 2 but, according to the reviews, corsair managed sharper timings at lower speeds wich made me put it ontop. I'm not a reviewer, this info is strictly extracted from compiling the info from all the reviews i came accross. Hope it helped.

That stinks Recnelis...you have a max3 and a 2.6c, so you have to get crappy pc4x00 memory. I would get adata if I had to buy pc4000, but out of your choices ocz would be my pick. With the 3.2v vdim that the max3 has you should be fine with any of them.

I dont see why the OCZ is the "obvious" choice seeing that several tests had the corsair running stable at 285 mhz fsb a speed wich I never aimed for part from maybe a occasional benchmark. But I would love to see your motivation as on why I made a bad choice. 3.2 Volt yes but without active cooling thats kinda asking to burn out the mem and i doubt you really get an advantage of running the mem at those voltages.

BTW prices here.
OCZ PC4000 Gold 1GB Dual channel: 538 Euro wich roughly translates to 626 USD
Corsair TwinX PC 4000 PRO 1GB: 443Euro thats a about 515$

The fact that the Corsair in overal did come out on top + the price difference made it kinda easy to decide.

Who said obvious? As far as bh-5 goes (good memory) 3.2v won't do anything to your memory. If you just have half-way decent case cooling your memory won't even get warm. I have seen people running all that pc4x00 crap at high volts too without any issue, although you mostly see adata pc4000 because it seems to oc the best, and it is very cheap.

Recnelis, I arrived at the same exact conclusion that you did. The Corsair PC4000 Pro and the OCZ PC4000 Gold is nearly a toss up when looking at the reviews. I have OCZ PC3500 EL and I've been very pleased with. It'll do DDR440 at 2,3,2,5 timings. So, I know OCZ is excellent stuff. I decided to be adventuresome and ordered the Corsair Pro. It should arrive by tomorrow. I'll post my results.

If you are on a budget, then get cheap RAM with the BH-6 chips and overclcok the snot out of it. But, I can afford the extra expense. What I'm trying for is using the 1:1 ratio on my 2.8C and hitting at least DDR500. I don't see that happening with PC3200 sticks using BH-6 chips with any degree of certainty, especially with my IC7 that only allows 2.8v max vmem.

my bh-5 will run 24/7 ddr520 2-2-2-5 @ 3.2v, which is perfectly safe forever. I can't remember the last time I saw bh-5 that couldn't do 2-2-2-5 ddr500 @ 3.1v. I forgot that most people in these forums and don't have the balls to do vmods, regardless of how easy they are :D. If you are afraid of a vmod you could buy a max3 or a 4pda2+/4pca3+.

Last edited:
Gouda, I see where you are coming from with the PC-3500 after reading some reviews and speed comparisons between PC-3500 5-4 Overclocks and PC4000 1:1 Overclocks. If you are willing to crank up the voltage on the Ram all the way you get a tremendous lot of bang for the buck with the PC-3500 since the difference with the PC-4000 at 1:1 is (here goes my spelling) negligable. What stops me (and others as well I think) in doing so is the fact that It's a hobby for me and I am on some form of a budget to do so. I am just not willing to risk frying my ram. Even if alot of people ran it safe at 3+ V. I still rather buy one set of PC4000 RAM for my needs and run it for years to come in whatever machine at 2.8V then a set of PC3500 where It would be in the back of my head all the time that it just might fry.
The other side of me likes to tweaks computers and there isnt anything in the world I would love to just get the cheapest components available and get them running as fast as humany possible outperforming the more expensive stuff but at the end of the day several burned out inexpensive components are still more expensive then one working expensive component. And again, I am not saying that they will burn out, just that I am not willing to risk it not to mention the outrageous prices for hardware here in some European countries compared to the prices in the US.

Back