• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new a7n8x and barton 2500xp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

peter kotar

Registered
watsup guys... just got a new a7n8x del. rev. 2 mobo and 2500 xp barton. my sig tells the rest.( what a step up from 750 mhz duron and sdram).!! booted up fine, no problems. by the way, one more congrats to newegg. kick a$$ price and here in 3 days!! my question is about settings. default seems to be... cpu ext freq--166 mhz multi--11x memory freq---auto fsb spread spectrum---50% memory timings ---7 3 3 2.5 . memory runs at 166mhz (according to bios) do i need two sticks to get dual channel, giving me 333mhz or should the one run at 333? what do i change if so. any other tweaks u would recommend(fsb, multi...) ps, lovin this rig!!

You need two sticks of ram for dual channel memory, however the gain realized is not much. I have had the best luck OCing with the Uber 1004sata BIOS. The new 1007 is not as fast IMO. Mine is runing at 202.45fsb and 12x for a 2432Mhz speed. You need to have a Southbridge cooler for this speed to be reliable. I scorched one mb without it. That one ran at 214fsb and 11.5x but toasted the southbridge at 215. Run memory at 100%, mine are at 5 3 3 2. And you have pitched that factory battery? Read the A7N8X FAQ.

let me rephrase that...

i think i garbled that original question . my memory is buffalo winbond pc3200 256mb. should it run at the full 333 mhz. during post it reports memory at 166mhz. memory frequency is at 100% now but still 166mhz. should i set it at 200% to get 333mhz. OR is 166mhz what its supposed to be. read somewhere that memory and processor should run same 333. or did they mean 166 doubled.? im not taking advantage of the dual channel thing yet. have heard it gives mediocre gains and wanted to get my system up and running. i will get another stick from newegg though, i see they have it in stock again. ps i did replace the battery after reading info. thanks dude! wonder if that coulda been cause of alot of the bad press on this board...hmmm?

You should turn off FSB spread spectrum, and keep memory frequency at 100%.

Drop the multi and up the FSB and keep it at 100% (sync)
user define
agressive
menu
is all i use in my Advance chipset options and yes its 166X2 (double pumped) ( p4c are 200X4 quad pumped) so your at 333fsb stock setting.

Start with baby steps and drop the multi low so u can see how far your bus will go.

Then adjust the multi to reach your stock speed or overclock it. If u decide to overclock simply increase your vcore when u become unstable. With that ram i would run it to 200fsb or over and heat should not be an issue but the Cpu well keep it cool say around 100f if u want to overclock it 300mhz or more.

Your PC3200's should handle 400Mhz. So at 166 FSB your memory sticks are operating at 333MHz. If you OC to 200 Mhz FSB, your memory will be operating at 400Mhz at 100 % sync. You will need to install memory in Slot 1/2 and 3 to get dual channel. Both ram sticks must be equal in memory size for each channel to work, or it will revert to single channel.

Back