• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory too fast?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

omaticrail

I've been out of the memory loop for too long...

Given that I'm going to buy a gig of DDR (2 sticks) for an overclocked, water cooled, Barton 2500 (or similar), is there such a thing as "too fast?" More than once I've seen someone ask for opinions about two different sticks, and some theoretically helpful individual suggested the slower of the two sticks.

Why?

I am assuming you saw someone asking about something like pc4200 v pc3200 or something like it?

Just get anything with bh-5:
khx 3000/3200 2-2-2-6
corsair 3500c2 v1.1
mushkin 3200-3500 lvl2
buffalo 3700

they all have bh-5. Mushkin is the most expensive, then corsair, then khx, then buffalo is the cheapest. My khx 3200 bh-5 can do ddr520 2-2-2-5 with 3.22v, so I would suggest it, but for 1gb buffalo is a whole lot cheaper than the rest. If I was gonna buy 2x512mb of ram right now I would go with buffalo. If you get a bad stick, which isn't very often (buffalo is cheap, but good stuff) you can just return it, and even if you got hit with a restocking fee you would still save quite a bit of money.

Back