• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PRIME95 Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DAK21

Hey Guys,

A question about performance on my new Corsair TwinX (2x512) PC-4000 Pro using PRIME95.

My Machine:
ABIT IC7-G, P4 2.8 @ 3.431 (245 FSB, 2.8 Vm, 1.575 Vcpu, 3-7-4-4, 1:1)

I run the PRIME95 torture test with Maximum memory tested. It runs through the first two tests fine. Those are 1024K and 8K FFTs. When it hits the 3rd test, 10K FFT, the program stops advancing the test numbers and stays right there.

NO ERRORS ARE REPORTED BY PRIME95. However I can see that CPU usage drops off to almost nothing becasue I monitor temperature on an LCD display. RAM usage however stays at 100%.
All programs continue to functions normally. Upon exiting PRIME95 it reports as if it were running the entire time normally, reporting the total time the calculations were taking place and stating that there were no errors.

It happens exactly the same way, at the same test, every time. 100% repeatable.

SiSoft Sandra burn-in works flawlessly.

This is strange becasue every other time I have pushed my PC somewhere that it couldn't handle, PRIME95 would detect an error, halt execution and state it on the screen and in the txt file.

What do you guys think?

Do I have a RAM/CPU problem, or is there a problem with PRIME95.

Have you seen anyting like this before?

Thanks,

When you say "maximum memory tested" do you mean you told Prime95 to use the total amount of memory in your system? Or did you leave it as the default maximum value (should be about 900M in v23.6 and up).

If you're using the latest version of Prime I've had some serious issues with it. Check your page file - I found prime using 18MB of memory while using 1.29GB of the page file! My hard disk was screaming for mercy.

Also, I've passes 200 loops of sandra memory bench, 12 hours of Memtest, 6.5 hours of Toast, and an 18 hour run of CPU stability test, and I can run 3dmark fine. But Prime? It fails and complains - all while paging to the hard disk!

In other words, software is made by people and is never perfect. If you can run everything else and you don't randomly crash, don't go crazy over prime. The latest one gave me mad headaches until I learned to forget about it.

--Illah

I'd have to agree Illah. A lot of people think that prime95 is the end-all be-all of cpu stability. Frankly, I can run 3dmark 2001 SE for 18 hours straight, memtest86 for 8 hours, and never have any of my games crash or lockup. I don't all of a sudden get random MS error messages or BSODs. But when it comes to Prime, I can't get past the first 13 iterations, its just unstable. I've had my DUT3C 1800(1.53GHz) @ 2GHz for the last 6 months and not once has the CPU crapped out on me(excluding prime).

Back