• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

a few simple questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GRIMM

Registered
Ok, i got the a7n8x dlv rev.2 and xp2500+, i havnt flashed the bios yet because i need a new floppy.I just got it and i'm setting it up and I ran prime95 torture with probe running to watch my temps and it got up to 55degrees C. how come it's so high, i have 2 intake fans in front, 1 intake on side, 2 exhaust in rear and a dual fan psu. I used AS3 on my heatsink too. im not overclocked or anything neither. and my next question is, is sisoft's sandra a good way to burn-in(using the burn-in wizard) my mobo, and how long should i run it?

If you are using the stock AMD heatsink with the stock AMD CPU fan then that is why you have such high temperatures. You need a decent quality full-copper heatsink with a high-cfm fan to get low temperatures :)

If you aren't overclocking those temperatures are fine though!

I think Prime95 is a better single program for stress testing. What i like to do on new setups is run prime95 stress test for about 3 days straight and if it passes all of the test, then keep running it for about 2 more days, but run other programs on top of it - games, excel, powerpoint, photoshop, etc. Then i like to finish off the week by running prime and sandra burn-in together.

IF it finishes all of these tests, i will consider my setup stable. One thing to note, however, is that I only use thermalright heatsinks in all of my systems (including the ones i build for other people) overclocked or not, so i don't know about systems with stock coolers... Heat may become an issue, so you may have to watch out if you do the week test that i described above...

yeah i highly recommend asusupdate, it is so easy to use. and about needing an all copper HS... copper isnt necessarily the best for ocing, as demonstrated by a recent predominace of copper core, aluminum fins. so dont go spending too much on an all copper HS, you might not need/want that.

and about burining in... i've read some articles, i think on this site, though i am sorry i cannot remember where to provide a link, that suggest that "burning in" isnt necessarily a great idea. because i cant remember the reasons, i'm not going to try, but look into why you may not want to burn in beore you just do it because it is the thing to do.

and what temp monitor are you using? i've heard asus probe isnt very reliable.

Is 55C under load considered a bad temp? I think a lot of people are fooling themselves with inaccurate temps that are too low.

yeah, i think it is considered a bad temp, i mean, i dont see how you could get that hot unless you had a stock hsf and poor case circulation/exhaust... and in this realm, stock=inadequate, so it seems

I was getting 55C under load with my rig set 197 X 10.5. Right now with stock HSF I get 42 C with no load with default settings. The temps are from Asus Probe.

i hear asus probe reports temps as lower than they really are... try using motherboard monitor... i'd link exce[t i dont know where i got it... surf around the threads, i am sure somebody linked it.

I wouldnt worry too much with Asus Probe readings. The Probe is usually higher and 55 C is not bad considering you are under load. Read your temps from BIOS. It is more accurate and it reads directly from CPU. The Probe relies on MB sensor. Now if you are into OC, then I would try to keep the temps as low as possible to ensure stability. I prefer to keep my rig normal/default.

MBM 5 reads temperatures exatly the same as ASUS probe does for me.

A full copper heatsink is the best type for optimal heat-dispersal! IF copper is the best, affordable, heat transmitter then why would you want Aluminum fins? A Thermalright SLK-800A won't even cost you that much.

55 Degrees Celcius Load is *FINE*. It is considered a bad temperature, but if it is stable then temperature doesn't matter.

As for burning in, doing stress testing will have no ill effects at all. Doing a voltage burn-in might have bad effects if you're unlucky, but depending who you talk to you will find that some people can achieve a better overclock with a lower Vcore after a voltage burn-in. Every time I do a voltage burn in there is no change afterwards at all.

To do a voltage burn in underclock your processor as low as you can, and overvolt it as high as you can. Then run stress testig for a day or two.

well, i dont want to disagree with felinusz, cause he's got 3 stars and i've only got one next to my name, but everywhere i've heard, and heck maybe i've been hearing from all the wrong people, but they say that yes, copper has better thermal conductance, so it can pull the heat away from the chip pretty well, a lot better than al. but they also say that al has better thermal dissipation ability. so, if they are right, that's why HSs like my aeroflow have a cu core and al fins. but hey, i've only got that one star by my name so i could be totally wrong.

the whole point of the hs is to pull the heat AWAY from the CPU core. that is the ONLY aspect of the metal that counts. copper conducts heat MUCH better than aluminum.

heat "dissipation" is not a factor. . your aeroflow uses aluminum for cost efficiency. want a better explanation? come look here:

http://www.overclockers.com/articles373/

now, how many of those at the top are aluminum?

on the asus probe and mbm5 isue asus probe only reads from the socket and not the cpu internaldiode like the bios and mbm5 but the prob with using bios is that the cpu has time to cool a little in the time it takes to reboot (if your stressing then it could drop by 20º easy) so the best thing to do is to set up mbm5 CORRECTLY to read from the diode and from the socket then you can read the temps on the fly as you run summat like prime 95

P2P

Aluminum HSF is better than copper and is a good method to dissipate heat. Nitrogen and water cooling are the best in that order. Copper is will collect heat from the CPU and surrounding evironment. Aluminum will reflect heat from surrounding environment and dissipate heat. Design air gaps between aluminum fins and add a powerful air blower and you get an excellant heat displacement.

well sniper, i tend to agree with you, because i have seen the performance of my aeroflow, but i also know that the most expensive HS are solid copper (i think) i mean it doesnt matter much to me, i'm gonna stick with my aeroflow until my next rig in which i'll watercool

Sniper.nkc said:
Aluminum HSF is better than copper and is a good method to dissipate heat. Nitrogen and water cooling are the best in that order. Copper is will collect heat from the CPU and surrounding evironment. Aluminum will reflect heat from surrounding environment and dissipate heat. Design air gaps between aluminum fins and add a powerful air blower and you get an excellant heat displacement.

i thought the thermalright copper hsf's where the best performers at the moment

i had a copper based ali finned hsf before i got a slk 900u and i saw temps drop by more than 10ºc when i installed it

Smirabi said:
yeah, i think it is considered a bad temp, i mean, i dont see how you could get that hot unless you had a stock hsf and poor case circulation/exhaust... and in this realm, stock=inadequate, so it seems

Just a quick question -

I'm assuming you're using MBM5 to report your temps, right? Are you reading from the in-socket or on-diode temp sensor? The on-diode sensor is called "W83L785TS-S Diode" and is not automatically configured by MBM setup, you have to do it manually.

I have a feeling you're reading the in-socket thermistor reading, which is WAY lower than the diode reading... Try it and write back.

Sniper.nkc said:

Once again, I point you to this:

http://www.overclockers.com/articles373/

Now, how many ALUMINUM heatsinks do you see in the top rankings? The main benefits of aluminum is cost efficiency and to some degree, weight. Even the best hybrid aluminum/copper heatsinks still use a copper base.

The main function of the heatsink, again, is to DRAW the heat AWAY from the CPU core. If it REFLECTS the heat, then the heat stays on the chip and COOLING is not achieved... You are absolutely right in saying that copper COLLECTS heat as that is the first function of the heatsink, to COLLECT/PULL the heat away from the CPU and then dissipate it into the environment (what the fan is for).

I stand corrected. Aluminum is good in many applications and cost is cheaper and will work under normal conditions, but it is not good in a OC computer environment. I just installed my Thermalright SLK-947-U with a Thermaltake 92MM fan 2550 RPM. With Prime 95 running and playing games on-line, my temps dropped by 8 C when I got rid of stock hs and fan. Now I am stable at 200 X 11, Vcore 1.675. MBM5 reads 41/42/26 (socket/diode/case) with load. Idle is 35/34/24.

Back