• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Kt600 VS nForce2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Y.E

HAAAA i know i posted this already but i still cant decide. Ok for the last time which should i get

1)MSI KT6 DELTA-LSR VIA KT600 more info
2)ASUS A7N8X

***NOTE*** i probably wont run over 200fsb at least for 1 year cuz im gonna be on a tight budget for a while so i will not be able to replace anything if something were to happen(god forbid). The reason i cant decide is dual channel will i be missing alot for dual channel?

i'd take the nforce2 board, due to the dual channel memory... the kt600 is new, probobly not as good as it can be yet... i wonder how long it will take them to release kt600a

If you're not using the integrated video on an nForce2 m/b, then the dual channel doesn't make a huge difference. On the other hand the nForce2 running single channel still outperforms the KT600. Maybe the KT600 handles async memory a bit better and maybe it's a bit cheaper. I've also heard that Via offers better Linux support, if that's a factor. Otherwise most of the advantages are with the nForce2 m/b.

deadkenny said:
If you're not using the integrated video on an nForce2 m/b, then the dual channel doesn't make a huge difference. On the other hand the nForce2 running single channel still outperforms the KT600. Maybe the KT600 handles async memory a bit better and maybe it's a bit cheaper. I've also heard that Via offers better Linux support, if that's a factor. Otherwise most of the advantages are with the nForce2 m/b.

first time i've heard this.... i don't run an integrated video, and switching into dual channel made a noticeable difference for me...

dual channel refers to MEMORY, which has little to do with video performance, i dunno where you came up with this

Memory and video are interrelated. To test, up your FSB and drop your multi to keep CPU speed equal. Run 3dmark and see what happens :)

For me, upping my card to the max at stock CPU & FSB or upping my FSB to the max while leaving all else stock, the FSB gives me way more 3dmarks.

--Illah

The KT600 is a bit slower but has more features (unless you are looking at the Deluxe A7N8X).

However the main downfall for and overclocker is that the KT600 craps out around 200 fsb due to lack of pci/fsb lock and the nforce2 keeps chugging along up to 230-250 fsb whcih is a pretty large performance difference.

I would actually suggest getting an Abit NF7-S mobo.

Illah said:
Memory and video are interrelated. To test, up your FSB and drop your multi to keep CPU speed equal. Run 3dmark and see what happens :)

For me, upping my card to the max at stock CPU & FSB or upping my FSB to the max while leaving all else stock, the FSB gives me way more 3dmarks.

--Illah

yes, i know this, and i agree....

although i don't agree with kenny's post
If you're not using the integrated video on an nForce2 m/b, then the dual channel doesn't make a huge difference.

someone explain what integrated video has to do with dual channel

The boards that come with integrated video are such that the RAM is shared between the memory needed by the CPU and that needed by the GPU.

But, with your Nvidia or ATI AGP card, the video memory is housed on the card.

Basically, if you have integrated video, a portion of your systems memory is being used for video. As a result, your Northbridge and front side bus are being used more. The dual channel helps make it a lot more efficient.

A note, though, at least on the ASUS A7N8X-VM (ASUS's version with the integrated GeForce4 MX) you cannot run dual channel at DDR 400 without an additional AGP card. You will be stuck at DDR 333, even with PC 3200+ memory. I also don't know how overclockable these cards are with integrated video.

Just my two cents.

And although I love my ASUS, and she works great, the Abit overclock's better. So if overclocking go with the NF7.

Via? Better Linux Support?

Umm.... no. Sorry.

nVidia makes driver binaries available for their video cards as well as their chipsets and probably has the best Linux driver support in the industry.

My experience is that there is better stability and performance coming out of the nForce2 boards than there is coming out of the KT600 boards (keep in mind, first revisions from VIA have pretty much ALWAYS been buggy).

funnyperson1 said:
The KT600 is a bit slower but has more features (unless you are looking at the Deluxe A7N8X).

However the main downfall for and overclocker is that the KT600 craps out around 200 fsb due to lack of pci/fsb lock and the nforce2 keeps chugging along up to 230-250 fsb whcih is a pretty large performance difference.

I would actually suggest getting an Abit NF7-S mobo.

Your confusing the KT600 with the KT400. The KT600 does not have any problems reaching past 200MHz/400FSB because it has the right dividers. Running stable at 250MHz/500FSB Asynch on a stock NF2 is not as common as you think.

KT600 MoBos doing past 230MHz/460FSB;

ABIT KV7

OC-1.jpg

ASUS A7V600

OC-1.jpg

EPOX 8KRA2+

OC-1.jpg

how about postsing shots from different boards rather than the same 3 boards over and over. Not to be picky, but posts the shots from 3 boards doesnt not mean the entire kt600 range is good for above 200mhz fsb.

what we have with nf2's is solid proof. Again and again and again.

someone explain what integrated video has to do with dual channel
graphics cards suck up a lot of bandwidth so dual channel is a must for onboard graphics that share system ram. Remember that the board is perfectly sound as far as dual channel goes - its the cpu that cant take advantage of it, not the other way around.

james.miller said:
how about postsing shots from different boards rather than the same 3 boards over and over. Not to be picky, but posts the shots from 3 boards doesnt not mean the entire kt600 range is good for above 200mhz fsb.

AZZA KT600-ALX (No Multiplier or Voltage Control)

OC-1.jpg

Gigabyte 7VT600

OC-1.jpg

MSI KT6 Delta BIOS

OC-1.jpg

Initial revisions of the NF2 boards had problems reaching 200FSB without VDD mods unlike all the KT600 boards which support it by default. The favored brands for overclocking would naturally be favored as examples but since you asked for other brands well there you have them.

Give me proof that major overclocking brands that have KT600 boards can't reach 200MHz/400FSB & beyond.

yes but my point is that no everyone can run there h/ds 38+mhz when i had my kt400 asus board i couldnt run at 183fsb due to the fact that my h/d couldnt handle the 37mhz pci slot bus

So when it comes down to it its all about going past 200fsb? but i prolly wont be upin any voltages and chances are i wont be running over 200fsb in that case does it make a difference which i would buy? (anthor question which is better the a7v600 or the msi kt6?)

I would go with NF2 chipset. Overclocking is safer because it locks PCI frequency. Most of other PC components have problem to run at around 40MHZ PCI. Especially considering you don't want data on the harddisk be corrupted.

i would choose nforce 2 for the following reasons.

It is more stable then via's chipsets. It is much more mature. The motherboard is faster. although not much unless using onboard graphics, dual channel memory does indeed increase overall system performance by 2 - 10%. The name nforce sounds cool.

Back