• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8RDA+ voltages and max overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rezin777

I have a question concerning voltage regulation on the 8RDA+. Which rails supply power to what components on the motherboard. I'm asking because I'm concerned that my 5volt line is affecting my maximum overclock. I first thought that my power supply was the problem, but after some testing of voltages elsewhere, I just don't think that's the case. First of all, I'm running a very slim system.

No PCI cards.
1 DVD drive.
2 hard drives.
2 80mm fans (not tornados, just regular fans).
1 50mm fan (NB).
1 40mm fan (GPU).
2 sticks of RAM (stock voltage).
GeForce 3 ti200.

I don't think this system is working the PSU very hard. My overclock is in my sig. At this speed, voltage from an unused molex connector is 5.03 / 5.04 running Prime95. Voltage at a mosfet is 4.88 running Prime95. This is why I don't think the PSU is the problem here.

I've tried to increase my overclock to 2400Mhz at 1.9 vcore in BIOS which reads 1.94 in the monitoring program. This posts and boots into windows without a hitch, but shortly after starting Prime95 the system either bluescreens or crashes and restarts. At 1.9 vcore the unused molex reads 5.0 / 5.1 while a mosfet reads 4.81 / 4.83.

My cpu temperatures are 27C Idle / 30C load. My board temp stays around 27C at the overclock in the sig. At 1.9 vcore before Prime95 crashes it usually reads around 32C.

I've thought about trying the 5volt rail mod discussed by Hoot in the Cases and Power Supplies sticky. I'm hesitant to try this because I don't want to skip out on any voltage regulation that occures before the mosfets.

To quote RonnieG from that same thread, "It is not advisable to bypass the input inductor with 5V booster cables. The input inductor is the one just right after the ATX connector, NOT the ones in the output phases. So if you have a 3-phase system there will be 4 inductors: 3 tightly wound ones and 1 loosely-wound one -- the input inductor. And it's there for a reason..."

Ronnie then goes on to say that he does this mod by soldering the 5volt booster before the input inductor. Any specific advice on this as pertaining to my Epox board?

This may be something I am confortable doing but I thought I'd ask around first.

...So back to the question, if I know what components draw power from what rails maybe there is another alternative. Does overclocking the video card or RAM draw power from the 5volt line? Mosfet cooling? Perhaps I have reached the limit of the CPU?

Any help you guys can give will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Bueller? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

Serously though, does anyone have any suggestions?

Back