• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bad to mix ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

koontz946

i ordered a stick of the infamous buffalo 3700 (512mb) and i also have 1gb of hynix 3200 a la 4 256 dimms.

would it be ok to put in 3 sticks of the pc3200 with the buffalo?

im going to be overclocking and isnt the abit ic7 rated for ddr400 only? so would that mean that i would be running the buffalo at under stock, then overclocking it to closer to stock?

would i be able to tell the difference b/t 512 of pc3700 and 1256 of pc3200/3700?

im also usin a p4 2.4c on h2o coolin

Well usually you will get a better overclock with one memory module...If you run the PC3200 and PC3700 together, then your PC3700 will run at PC3200 speed...If you use your system for Photshop, 3d Studio Max and other CPU intensive and memory hogging programs then you will see a big difference between system speed using the PC3700 and PC3200 together...If you just want a big overclock stick with the single Buffalo module...:)...Overclocking with four modules can be tricky...:)

If your not going to overclock throw then in there. They will automatically clock themselves to the lowest memory module speed unless you set the speeds manually.

You will destroy system performance if you use the buffalo, as you will no longer be running in dual channel mode. Stay with the 4 256's.

the 4 256's would not be better than 2 512's of buffalo, correct?

i really hope i didnt make a HUGE mistake in buying ram thats not gonna be better than what i already have :cry:

Back