• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Actual Speed IDE vs. SATA vs. SATA RAID 0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barryng

I am in the process of upgrading my computer. I am trying to make a decision relative to the hard drive configuration I will use. Originally I intended to build a SATA RAID 0 array. I just discovered GHOST may not be able to easily clone the array so I will not have the safety of a full backup as I do now. I was naively intending to clone the RAID array to the large IDE hard drive I am currently using as my main drive.

I was going to the SATA RAID 0 array only because of speed. I am now wondering how much faster it really is compared to a single SATA drive. For that matter, how does the speed compare to a single Ultra ATA 100 IDE drive?

In other words, numbers aside, will a 150MB/sec SATA drive be noticeably faster than an Ultra ATA 100 IDE drive or just marginally so. Similarly, how would the apparent speed of a RAID 0 array compare to a single SATA drive.

I already purchased two WD 120 MB SATA drives and an IC7-Max3 mobo so I have the flexibilty of going in any direction I want. I just want to get a qualitative feel for the various options available.

From what I've seen on the web SATA doesn't have much if any advantage over PATA. But that might change in the future when hard drives get faster. I would imagin that GHOST will be updated to play nice with SATA raid setups soon.

I was able to ghost my sata raid 0 array... I use the array for my OS and it is fairly quick compared to other setups I've created in the past...

Back