• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus C.o.p!!! Please Read!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dguy6789

hey, the asus website says that the a7n8x has C.O.P. This stands for cpu overheat protection. Does anyone know if this works? If ti does, what temp does it shut the system off, and is it adjustable? Thanks in advance!

If I recall it is adjustable. I forget the settings. Its really quite pointless. Download the MB manual and it will list the settings. My Abit has something very similar, I set it to disabled.

It works. Not only does it track temps, it also tracks fan speed. Assus Probe sets MB and CPU to 70 C and 600 RPM by default. If your rig reaches this threshold, it will shut down. You can adjust it too.

yea, it really works, one time i was testing my system and i left my hsf off on purpose to test if my cpu was working, it did and it shut down immediately after like 10 seconds
________
LovelyWendie99

Last edited:
Questionable. Some people have had it work, some have terrible horror stories about completely wrecked chips and motherboards. Mine is one of the bad stories (with a happy ending!!):

Back when I was on air I reseated my SLK 800 A after cleaning it and changing the paste. I turned my rig on, Overvolted and Overclocked my processor, rebooted (without checking the temperatures @ stock...) and was greeted with 80 Degree Celcius BIOS readouts for CPU temperature... and climbing! I cut the power, carefully (*much* more carefully this time) reseated my heatsink, and merrily went on my way.

*But my motherboard didn't shut itself down*

Take it as you will.

I don't trust ASUS' special "features" at all. Just look at their stupid Q-Fan thing and you begin to wonder what other features aren't even implemented in their boards. ASUS also has extremely bad customer support - they don't care about their customers at all, and are nearly impossible to contact unless you are doing an RMA - in which case you have to go through your retailer for any hope of a timely (READ: less than a month) return, or even simple acknowledgement and communication.

As ASUS doesn't care about it's customers at all - I am lead to believe that ASUS C.O.P. is so much bull. Again, take it as you will. If you are careful your CPU won't overheat (a pump dying is a rare thing).

ok thx, so i wont trust it then, ill just use mbm and shutdown now. I had to rma an asus board once, took about 2 - 3 months. I was angry, and pc-less.

well asus COP is a program programmed into the rom chip or somewhere else on the mobo that detects when the cpu temp gets too high...you dont need to have it running...its ALWAYS running, detecting to see if the temps are too high, its on the mobo meaning u can run it like any other software application
________
Fix ps3

Last edited:
felinusz said:
Questionable. Some people have had it work, some have terrible horror stories about completely wrecked chips and motherboards. Mine is one of the bad stories (with a happy ending!!):

Back when I was on air I reseated my SLK 800 A after cleaning it and changing the paste. I turned my rig on, Overvolted and Overclocked my processor, rebooted (without checking the temperatures @ stock...) and was greeted with 80 Degree Celcius BIOS readouts for CPU temperature... and climbing! I cut the power, carefully (*much* more carefully this time) reseated my heatsink, and merrily went on my way.

*But my motherboard didn't shut itself down*

Take it as you will.

I don't trust ASUS' special "features" at all. Just look at their stupid Q-Fan thing and you begin to wonder what other features aren't even implemented in their boards. ASUS also has extremely bad customer support - they don't care about their customers at all, and are nearly impossible to contact unless you are doing an RMA - in which case you have to go through your retailer for any hope of a timely (READ: less than a month) return, or even simple acknowledgement and communication.

As ASUS doesn't care about it's customers at all - I am lead to believe that ASUS C.O.P. is so much bull. Again, take it as you will. If you are careful your CPU won't overheat (a pump dying is a rare thing).

I beg to differ on this..Asus has provided me with wonderful technical support, and atleast they have it. You can't get a hold of epox, which is another big name. I have contacted Asus many times and usually I'm not on hold very long and the customer service rep knows what hes doing USUALLY. I've had a few rma's to Asus over the years, and when they say they will fix something, they usually give me a new board. Therefor, I have no problem with Asus's technical support, I believe its one of the best. Sure, if you call at the wrong hours you will be waiting forever, and if u get stuck with someone who knows nothing and can hardly speak english, just ask to talk to a different rep.

I have mixed feelings about Assus customer service. I called to get a new bios chip and the Tech staff routed me to Bios department. He took information over the phone on Thursday PM and I received my new chip on Monday PM. Not bad for 3 working days. On the other hand, I email the same day to get support on new bios chip and dam I received a book on things to do before I can get help. I know better to screw around with this so I replied again to obtain a new chip. I am still waiting on a response, yet I have my new chip :) .

Well, in my experience unless you go through a store they aren't easy to deal with.

The RMAs I have done *did* result in a free board replacement, and in one case a very professional repair job (and free replacement of one if the RAM slots that was wrecked because of my stupidity too!), but the hassle, and impersonal way it was handled weren't impressive at all.

I have never had an email answered by ASUS tech-support, and I am a polite person, my emails weren't rude or anything.

This is what I experienced, if others have had better experiences then great.

Another note that I bring up after reading that quote of myself - recently I have discovered that your pump dying or not being on will not result in temperatures that are particularly dangerous, around 60 degrees is the most you will see (a water block with water in it is sorta like a crummy passive heatsink).

Back