• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nf7-s v2 error

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Biznatch

Well it was working fine untill today when I tried to boot it up, it started beeping. It's 2 long beeps, 1 high pitch, 1 lower over and over untill I turn off the PSU. Anyone know what this error is? I have searched for a while and found nothing about it. I think it's a vid card error but I'm not sure.

Do a search for "nf7-s siren" there are MANY posts about it.

That siren is caused by the overheat protection. So check your heatsink, if that isn't it chances are your board is bad...at least mine was when it happened to me. Good luck with the Abit RMA department.

Well thanks for the info. I did a search and it seems to be a common problem.....for people upping the core voltage. My setup is running at stock speeds and I haven't even installed windows yet :( Does this mean I have a faulty mobo?

I don't think there is a direct relationship between increasing the v-core and the siren. I think you see that merely because this is an overclocker’s forum and increasing the vcore is something nearly everyone does.

When I had the problem, it started intermittently and when I could get the computer to boot I had changed everything back to stock, when it finally died for good it was running at stock speed and voltage.

Have you tried all the normal troubleshooting steps? Like clearing the BIOS, stipping the system to the essential components, and testing out of the case? If you call abit tech support these are the things they will recommend, so you might as well get these steps out of the way. Chances are they won't do any good - but it is worth trying.

If it is a brand new board and those steps above don't help you then RETURN IT TO THE VENDER! Abit's RMA department is full of idiots. I have had to talk to them too many times...

it may not be a dircet casue of raising the v-core but it seems to be related. when i first got my revison 2.0 i couldnt get above 333 fsb. i would raise my v-core to 1.75 and it would begin to post then the fans would shut off and it stared with the long beeps hi-low hi-low.... after about 5-6 days of having the board it stoped and i could hit 400fsb. also something that helped me was turing off the overheat protection. i know the proc wasnt over-heating becasue it runs at 38c full load but it still seemed to help turning that off

here is one of the fixes if you update from bios version 16 to 17
5."Fixed the intermittent sirens when getting into Windows 2000 or XP with both "Shutdown when CPUFAN Fail" and "CPU Shutdown Temperature" enabled in PC Health Status."

Last edited:
also something that helped me was turing off the overheat protection. i know the proc wasnt over-heating becasue it runs at 38c full load but it still seemed to help turning that off

That is exactly what the problem is, according to Abit that alarm is caused by the overheat protection. The problem is once the siren starts you can't get into the bios to turn it off.

here is one of the fixes if you update from bios version 16 to 17

That isn't exactly the same problem, the siren isn't occuring when windows loads, it is happening as soon as the computer is turned on. Also, I had the problem using bios 18. Even if it WAS the solution it wouldn't do Biznatch much good because he can't get the computer to boot in order to flash the bios.

Well I resest the cmos and took out the CPU and installed it again. Now the computer boots up, but when I go into the bios, I can't shut off the overtemp protection. It goes up to 90c max, even though the manual says I can disable it. Do I have a different bios than in the manual or something?

sorry Biznatch i shoud have specified. you can't turn off the one located in soft menue three but you can turn it all the way up. i was talking about the ones located under the pc-health tab. i belive its the one called cpu over temp protection and another called shutdown if cpu fan fail. just to be safe i turned them all off or to their highest value.

I second that motion very much, although I would not use the i word. They speak Znglish I think!!!, they never seem to understand what you are saying!!!!

Actually I wasn't referring to their language skills at all. I called them idiots because they are not very good at doing their job, and specifically don't know the difference between GROUND and 2ND DAY shipping. The difference seems clear to me. What was worse than that was they PROMISED me to send out the refund check ($15) the day after I called. Well, 8 WEEKS and 4 phone calls later I finally got the refund through paypal.

Needless-to-say I HIGHLY doubt I will be buying another abit product. In the motherboard market there are so many options that I don't see a need to potentially put myself through that again.

Well I resest the cmos and took out the CPU and installed it again. Now the computer boots up...

I recommend you get the board replaced, this problem will reappear and become very frustrating. I made the mistake of fighting with the problem for so long, hoping it would go away, that when the board finally completely died it was out of the vender return period and had to deal with directly with Abit...

WOW!!! ...maby getting an Abit NF7-S isn't a werry good idea...
looks like many have had this problem

Actually, I reset my CPU waterblock and it works perfectly. Upped the FSB to 200 within the first hour and it holds up fine. Now I'm OCed a lot more and it is running 100% stable in prime95. Gonna go for higher with a little more voltage and see what I can do. Maybe try for 230 FSB. So I'm very impressed by this mobo and would definately buy another one if I needed to :p

Back