• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is 5:4 more stressful on ram then 1:1 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SoulEdge

Registered
Since I got my 4pca3+ and 2.4C, I've tested my corsair pc3200 at 237 [email protected] vdimm in 1:1 and running a windows memtest program, didn't get any errors (haven't had a chance to run memtest86 yet). However, when I try even 228 in 5:4, I get a hardlock in windows almost immediately. Dropping the timmings back to SPD which is 2.5-4-4-8 stabilizes things and I get no errors. That's a pretty big drop in mem performance - 9 mhz and much more lax timings by changing the dividers. I was really happy w/ the corsair but now I might have to look into something new, since if it is indeed the ram it will be holding back my cpu clock.

Yep, 5:4 is more stressful on the ram. BH5 deals with it better than CH5.

Why would 5:4 be more stressful on ram? I'm curious, since if youre running the ram @ same speeds 1:1 and 5:4, shouldnt it affect the ram in the same way? what exactly is the difference?

It's corsair pc3200 so it's probably BH6. It seems to scale pretty well w/ voltage increases but even 3.2 isn't enough to stabilize it at 228 w/ tight timings 5:4.

Just depends on when it was made. BH6 works great but 3200 has been CH5 for some time.

Back