• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does Prime 95 "Burn In" Memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stan03

Does Prime 95 "Burn In" Memory? and if it does could it possibly allow me to get timings of 2-5-2-2?

what is a good memory tester/burner then? could you give a link please. thanks

Yes Prime95 does put a heavy load on memory. However, if you _just_ want to stress memory, memtest86 is better. I find it's best to start with memtest86 to make sure memory is stable, then move to Prime95 for CPU/memory/chipset testing.

prime95 is based on calculations -- cpu intensive, you can use as little as 8mb of your memory on it, loading 8mb up isn't exactly stressful to memory

to burn in memory, loops of 3dmark or other 3d intensive benchmark, sandra burn-in, aida32 memory performance tester is much more useful, memtest86 stresses memory but only tests one specific address at a time, it doesn't stress the memory as a whole

All of those programs are based on "calculations" ... that's what computers do. Moreover, all programs can generally only read and write to one address in memory at a time. It doesn't make any sense to say memtest86 doesn't test memory "as a whole" -- it tests all of your system memory.

Prime95 can use as little or as much memory as you want it to. If you tell it to use 500M for the torture test, it will use 500M. 3DMark is not very memory intensive; it uses 30M most of the time, and upwards of 100M is a few tests.

3DMark and Sandra are good programs to use for stability testing, but they're not better memory tests than memtest86 or Prime95.

whoa.... how can i tell prime to use 500M of memory? that would be great.... how can i tell it to use alllll of my memory?

If you're using Prime95 v23.6 (or higher), you can select the amount of memory to use when you're in the torture test menu. If you click on Blend, the maximum amount you should use is automatically selected. You can manually select more than that in the Custom test, but using too much memory will cause Prime to swap a lot.

If you have an older version, the amount of RAM you enter in the Options->CPU menu is the amount it will use during the torture test.

NookieN said:
If you're using Prime95 v23.6 (or higher), you can select the amount of memory to use when you're in the torture test menu. If you click on Blend, the maximum amount you should use is automatically selected. You can manually select more than that in the Custom test, but using too much memory will cause Prime to swap a lot.

If you have an older version, the amount of RAM you enter in the Options->CPU menu is the amount it will use during the torture test.

yea i have the older vsion and the max ram it can use is 920 mb.... but i don't think it uses all 920. can you give me a link to the newest version? what does it mean to "swap alot"? so when i get the new version i should tell it to run blend? and that will "burn in" my memory?

This is the latest Prime95: ftp://mersenne.org/gimps/p95v237.zip

I think a few people have had problems with that version, so if you do you could try 236 instead (but some people had issues with that too). When you choose Blend from the torture test menu it will put a heavy load on your CPU, chipset, and memory.

Swapping means your system is using more memory than is physically available and so it starts writing data to the virtual memory (aka swap file, aka page file) on your hard disk. If your OS is continuously swapping it leads to very poor performance (a condition known as thrashing).

i got that version, i still dont see Blend... werhe is that?

ok blend just uses my hdd.... and i didn't realize until it had been running for like an hour and a half.... i hope my harddrive is not broken.....:(

oh yea so how do i make it stress my memory without destroying my hdd?

bump.... so how am i supposed to set up blend to not use my hd, just my RAM? and during blend my cpu is almost at idle. i think it might be waiting for the hdd.

How much RAM is allocated to it during Blend (it should be printed in gray in the fields in the lower half of the torture test box)? Any more than about 85% of your total system RAM will cause paging.

When Prime95 is running, open up the task manager and see if it's using the amount of memory it should be. Also see if the total memory used (in the Performance tab) is more than the amount of RAM you have.

ok ill do that when i get home. i mean i have 1 gig of ram, yet it still uses a 1.3 gig pagefile? thats odd.... and how can i fix this? i need a program that will tress my memory, not my hdd.

Back