• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Minor KD7-S Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sagitta85

It is a great motherboard, but sometimes it just shuts down by itself. Also, when I restarting the computer, sometimes it won't go back to Windows XP, even not to the BIOS, just a blank screen. So, I have to turn off the PSU and turn it on and turn on computer.

I'm not sure that the BIOS is updated.

KT400-8235-6A6LYA1BC-13

If I need to update the BIOS, how do I do so?

Welcome To The Forums!!!!!

.....and to the addiction:eek:

The latest BIOS is available HERE with the following fixes;
  1. Change "CPU Disconnect Function" default setting.
  2. Add AMD Duron 1400(133)/1600(133)/1800(133) support.
  3. Fix the issue that the system occasionally hangs at post code 26 if the system is using 133/166 FSB CPU and the power was turned off during boot up procedure when the post code is AE.
  4. BIOS compile date: 08/28/2003.

BIOS update instructions from ABIT are reliable & we also have detailed steps HERE. Though there has been changes recently allowing BIOS updates from within the OS I would not recomend you do so for safety's sake.

It's hard to diagnose a problem without your complete system details so do post them as soon as you get the chance.

Hmm, it says at Abit website that I can flash my bios without a floppy, by using FlashMenu. Should I do that or not? By the way, this is my first time doing this and I don't want to goof up. ;)

Follow the links I posted above for flashing the BIOS, it's the older method of doing it but to me it is more safe.

What's the PSU? What are the rails like during idle & load? What are your load temps? Does the shutdown issue disappear whan you use a UPS or a different power socket? I'm leaning more towards a PSU issue or the overtemp protection system setup incorrectly.

It is a PowMax 400W PSU. Don't know what your talking about to your other questions, but my temps are: System 38 Idle and CPU 35 Idle.

Rails on a PSU are the different voltage lines, the most important ones are the 12V, 5V & 3.3V Rails/Lines. Monitoring these are important when you start to have issues with your PC, 3rd party software like MBM can be use to see fluctuation during idle & load. Check the PSU housing for the rated amperage on the three rails/lines I mentioned earlier.

Idle temps are when your computer isn't being stressed & Load temps are when you stress your computer. Get back to me with answers to my original questions above so we can rule out some possible problems.

Sorry for the long wait, but I fixed it :D

I have to reset the BIOS and everything seems to be O.K., I haven't had a single problem. I believe that the memory timings were the cause of the problem. I bought the memory from someone and he said to set them to this. Maybe I shouldn't have in the first place. :)

Back