• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New ATI 9800 Video card makes my RAM unstable and causes BSOD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

billstuck

My machine is overclocked and running at default voltages. 2.4c @ 3.12ghz with 5:4 divder on an IS7-E.

When I built it ran memtestX86 a regarded memory stress tool, prime95, cycled the CPU at 100 for days encoding video and not one hickup. Forward 5 months....

Well last week I got an ATI 9800 video card, and the last 2 days when gaming my computer keeps giving me BSOD and rebooting about 10 mins into the game.

Someone suggest bad RAM so I ran memtestX86 and guess what I got tons of memory errors that I didn't get before. I upped the RAM voltage .1v from default and now the errors seem to be gone (memtestX86 is still looping, but so far so good)

Is it a coincedence that I just got a new video card or is my ram crapping out? One odd thing to note is that the ATI 9800 needs a molex connection directly from the PSU where my old card didn't

I have a Antec 350w PSU and am running my 2.4c, CD/RW and 2 Hard drives. Hummm.

Did you download the new drivers for the card, I believe they are 3.9? If so they have major bugs and stability problems and might be the cause of your problems. Try using the 3.8 version and see how it goes.

are your voltages stable? it seems that it may be your video card is using too much juice.

wannaoc said:
Did you download the new drivers for the card, I believe they are 3.9? If so they have major bugs and stability problems and might be the cause of your problems. Try using the 3.8 version and see how it goes.

I tried the 3.7s and the latest 3.8s same thing.

stan03 said:
are your voltages stable? it seems that it may be your video card is using too much juice.

I'll have to check the rails after memtest finishes running the extended tests.

Back