• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How can I boot from SATA drive in A7N8X Deluxe 2.0?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Duneadan

Is it possible to somehow boot from the Serial ATA drive in Win98 on the A7N8X Deluxe 2.0?

Right now I'm using the Uberbios 1.005, and I cannot get the computer to boot from my new SATA drive.

The darn thing is hooked up and working correctly. I can read and write from it in windows.

But the computer will only boot from the IDE or other legacy drives. It will not boot from the SATA drives at all.

Any help will be most appreciated.

Last edited:
Try adding the driver by hitting F6 or it might be another key for WIN98se but u need to install that first by using a floppy with your SATA driver on it and then it will continue to load and install on your SATA harddrive. And you need to set it to boot from SCSI and disable your boot from drive 0. The other thing u can do is use a Drive utility from Seagate to make an image of your IDE drive to your SATA drive so you can keep your data intact and then when it finishes set the BIOS to boot from SCSI.

I will check my 98se manual for more info and post it as an edit if its helpful. Have not used 98se in like along time LOL

Ok hmm my bad i saw nothing about adding a driver for scsi on install .... Image thing seems like the only way to me?

Last edited:
That's what I thought, too. I cloned my old boot drive using Seagate's utility. The drive is there and working, but not booting. I set the drive to boot from SCSI and that did not work, either.

I take from your post though that you have an A7N8X and it can boot from the SATA, but not in win98?

What OS are you using?

Thanks for the help!

I have a A7N8X Deluxe currently in RAID 0 with 2X80gig SATA Seagates using XP Pro. And yeah i can help just look me up in my profile (AIM) as i am aware that 98 will not work and i looked all thru the Microsoft forum with no luck on 98. Yes it can work on only one drive using Win2000 or XP that im sure of.

Maybe not. The reason it would not boot was that even though the Seagate image utility had copied almost every single file from the old hard drive to the new SATA, it did not copy the boot sector. Once I ran sys :e it booted up fine. Dur!

Thanks again for the help.

Bench%20HArddrive.jpg

Well i tried benching this several times with results that vary but always faster than 42520KB/s and in real life it knocks the boot times to insanely fast but im modded out the wahzoo to and im sure that helps it to.

Oh and switch the bios on the hard drive IDE to none on all IDE drives even the roms it helps alot when u boot up all of mine are on none so auto detect is bypassed. If your on boot to scsi then thats all u need when Windows is up it will still see your drives or roms if you have stuff on it. ( not the case in other boards i have owned)

WOW!!

That sure had me impressed... i guess it's getting time to upgrade my 80gig 5400 rp drive and get some raptors in raid0 through my sata too...

question though, once your booting from sata, and you have to clear the cmos, does it go back to searching for boot from ide-drive? or will it also still scan sata?

Hawker-rider said:
WOW!!

That sure had me impressed... i guess it's getting time to upgrade my 80gig 5400 rp drive and get some raptors in raid0 through my sata too...

question though, once your booting from sata, and you have to clear the cmos, does it go back to searching for boot from ide-drive? or will it also still scan sata?

Yeah, it goes back so u need to change it again.

Back