• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GEIL PC4200 - cant hit 266 FSB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Locin

I cannot get this memory to run @ 266 FSB no matter what divider is used. The max I can get it running at is 247 FSB stable (@ 1:1).

Motherboard = Asus P4C800-E (bios v 0011 = latest).

I have upped the RAM voltage = 2.85. RAM timing = 3.4.4.8 (but have tried various other timings).

Has anyone got this memory (I have read reviews where they are running at 270 FSB). I can't even get it running at it's native 266 FSB.

I am starting to think there is a problem with the memory.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rig is as follows

P4 2.6c (Stock cooling)
Asus P4C800 - E
Geil PC4200 (1024 MB) - 2 x 512Mb
WD Raptor x 2 (Raid 0)
Radeon 9700
Enermax 550w

Last edited:
dont know if this will help much but i just put in some geil pc4000(2 x 256) in my rig with a 2.6c and it worked fine up to 260FSB @ 1:1 ,but i had to increase my vcore to 1.62v because like u anything over about 245 FSB the chip was unstable. Hope this was helpfull and if not OH well I tried.

Or maybe dual channel was lowering the ram capabilities a bit, but that does seem like quite a long ways to go. Do you have Dual Channel enabled or disabled. I think if you change slots you can change whether its on or off.

If it is the CPU then setting a divider of less then 1:1 should still allow me to hit a FSB of 266.

Or am i wrong in thinking this.

dragon_788 the memory is rated at 533 in dual channel mode so lets hope that I dont have to go single channel to achive these speeds.

I'll try changing memory slots.

PS:- I'm so stuck and am running out of options.

If it is the CPU then setting a divider of less then 1:1 should still allow me to hit a FSB of 266.

if you set your diviver less than 1:1 then your ram would run slower, and you would still not be stable @266 FSB because the 5:4 divider would put you @266 FSB & 212 on the ram. how ever if it is stable there then you can think its a ram issue unless the asus boards are screwy with dividers like some of the abit boards.

make sure u have enuff voltage to the cpu. then test each stick seperately. i had a dual channel setup and 1 stick ran to 258 the other to 288..... dual channel memory is somewhat misleading because most vendors only test and guarentee it to its rated speed ( pc4000). thats where a good vendor becomes important. my vendor(komusa) agreed to exchange it for a small fee, even tho they didnt have to....

Agree - it is your CPU

266 FSB for a 2.6C is pretty close to the max you're going to get. On my system, I max out at exactly 266 FSB using 1.65 Vcore. However, I am water cooled so if you are using stock cooling, you will not get much higher than 250 FSB.

Up your Vcore and get a good CPU cooler and you might hit 266, but should get at least 260. I wouldn't try any Vcore above 1.65 since you get very little return beyond that. 1.7 is generally the upper limit before your CPU fries.

Re: Agree - it is your CPU

lokicat said:
266 FSB for a 2.6C is pretty close to the max you're going to get. On my system, I max out at exactly 266 FSB using 1.65 Vcore. However, I am water cooled so if you are using stock cooling, you will not get much higher than 250 FSB

If your maxing out at only 266Mhz there is something wrong. My 2.4C will run 3.6Ghz on water with 1.55V. In most cases all the P4 chips are doing that speed as well with good cooling.

As others have said I would test the ram 1 stick at a time to see what that gets you. Also try different memory slots

Steve

Back