• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anybody else done this....?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

usp8riot

I got tired of taking my side panel off and having to remove the video card to reset the cmos so I made a switch at the back of the system to give me a 1-button cmos reset. I just turn the pc off, push the button, turn it back on, and voila! Instant cmos reset. For any of you who get tired of doing that, this is a good project. It just took me 5 minutes on my case. The case came with a black light with a switch on the back. The plug for it is just like a 3-wire plug for a fan so I just plugged the switch into where the cmos jumper should be and that was it. I don't know why I didn't think of it before when I first built my PC and started oc'ing it. I never heard of anyone doing this before or even complaining about having to take the panel off and video card off so just wondering if this gets on anyone else's nerves so much like mine they would rather switch it.

solid idea, so it seems to me, but why does your video card get in the way of resetting your cmos? woulnd't it have to be in a pci slot to cover the battery/jumper? i'm looking at my a7n8x dx right now through my window and i've got a good 2 inches clearance around my video card. now if my modem card(i dont even know why that's still in there) were a bigger card it might interfere... is this what you mean?

No need to use the jumper. Try hitting the Insert key when the computer won't post. It resets the cmos to defaults and lets you keep your computer in one piece. I do like the set-up you came up with, I justhave no need for it :)

You mean all this time all I had to do was push the insert key? In all BIOS versions? I feel stupid now. I'll just hook my black light back up then.

{PMS}fishy said:
. Try hitting the Insert key when the computer won't post. It resets the cmos to defaults and lets you keep your computer in one piece. :)

Hum I never knew that. God knows how many times I've had to remover the side then the pump then the DSL card to get to that little #$%^ jumper. all I had to do was hit (INSERT) !@#$%^&*())+_)*&^$#@

Drak55 said:

Hum I never knew that. God knows how many times I've had to remover the side then the pump then the DSL card to get to that little #$%^ jumper. all I had to do was hit (INSERT) !@#$%^&*())+_)*&^$#@

hey I tryed it and it didnt work for me I still had to take everything apart.

<INSERT> doesn't work all the time, or for everybody. For me the CMOS clear works half the time, and the other half of the time my BIOS chip is corrupted and needs to be hotflashed (a particularly scary procedure involving removing the BIOS chip from the board while power is running through it) I have had ~20 bios corruptions (and had to do ~20 hotflashes). I am starting to loath my ASUS motherboard.

Back