• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best gaming/oc'n mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AFIsoldier

what is the best mobo for gaming and oc'n...doesen't have to be asus...needs to be capable of about 4 ddr ram slots...unless there are other ways to add more ram (ramdrives?) 2100+ capable and 5 pci cards and vga(?) card (for video card) under 200 bucks...

Well I got the A7N8X Deluxe from asus and it's great. It only has 3 ddr slots but it's got 2 channels, so u can stick like 1gb on one channel and 1gb on the other. it's got 5 pci slots and I hope you mean a AGP slot, not VGA, that's oldschool. hmm...built in 5.1 sound, and one of the best OC'ing boards.

yea, i meant AGP...what do you mean by channels? i don't understand ram all that much...timings, cas...etc it's all greek to me...board looks good for my new system...but could you explain that whole channel thing

Dual memory channel means, in a sense, there are 2 access paths to the memory allowing faster access. That results in a performance boost, in theory. I say in theory, because it will only increase performance if the memory is the bottleneck. In an AMD system, the FSB is usually the limiting factor before the memory is. So in practice, most of the additional memory access capacity (aka bandwidth) goes to waste, unless something else is using it. For example, if you use integrated video on an nForce2 m/b, it will use the system memory, and then the dual channel makes a big difference in performance.

Back