• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Channel...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Venesectrix

I just got an abit NF7-S (version 2.0), and it supports dual chanel memory. What are the advantages of using dual channel? Is it worth the extra $4-8 per stick just to have dual channel? If I use dual chanel and then later on decide to put a third stick of memory in, will having 3 RAM modules negate the dual channel effect? Do the dual chanel memory sticks have to be exactly the same?

Memory sticks in dual have to be the same, at least in size. I hv never come across momery sticks with diff. timings though.

If I use dual channel and then later on decide to put a third stick of memory in, will having 3 RAM modules negate the dual channel effect?
Please I need to know this...thanks to everyone that responded though ;). Also, I've got an Abit NF7-S, and it has 3 RAM slots, RAM slot 1, 2, and 3. 1&2 are grouped together, with 3 being about a centimeter away from them, but it says for dual channel to put them into 2&3 (ones farther away from each other). Should I put the RAM into the two closer slots, or the farther ones?

Please someone answer, I'll try to explain it a little better: My mobo has 3 RAM slots, which look something like this:

l....l......l
l....l......l
R...R....R
A...A....A
M..M....M
l....l......l
l....l......l
l....l......l

It says to start inserting from 3 and go on down to 1, but if I want dual channel should I place the ram into 3 and 2, or 1 and 2? And does using 3 RAM modules stop the memory from dual channeling?

if the mobo says 2 and 3 for DC then do so...

i got a abit IC7-G it has 4 slots, 1,2 are grouped and 3,4 are grouped, for DC it needed to be in 1 and 3 or in 2 and 4, the slots even have two different color to show you where to place the ram for DC :)

afaik 3 sticks o' ram will negate the effect, tho im not to sure..

I checked the faq on abit and couldnt find anything about it but I agree, I think if you put in the 3rd stick the dual channel doesn't work

1 and 3 will work for Dual Channel operation, as will 2 and 3.

I have found that populating 1 and 3 is actually the same as far as performance goes. I guess the benefit to placing the sticks further apart would be that less heat would build up between the modules, but even that would be a negligable difference.

-Sean

The manual that came with the board says to put dual channel in 2 and 3 slot.
I did some searching in this forum a while back like 2 weeks, and someone had the time to do a test and got better bandwidth with slots 2 and 3,
Just thought i would share my 2 cents with the Dual channel memory, i bought 2 sticks of mushkin pc3200 512k as a weekend special, hopeing they were a matched pair, and they were. They work in dual channel, and they are not dual channel memory

Back