• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is my 8rda+ dead??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mugzy0130

Registered
I had my 2500+ barton running smooth at 2305 (200x11.5) but i tried to go alittle hire by changing the timing on the ram (generic) to like 7 3 3 4 or something and raising it to (200 x 12). Now everytime I try to boot the motherboard (epox 8rda+) starts steadily beaping. Is my motherboard dead, my cpu dead, my ram? Also took of the battery of my motherboard to erase the bios.

I also moved the jumper from 1-2 to 2-3 next to the battery and got CF on the little digital pad, to try and erase the cmos. Did I do it correctly? Plus any other suggestions?

vcore 1.825
cooling volcano 11
avg temp 46C

I hope you unplugged it from the wall socket before you moved the jumpers or took the battery out 'cause I messsed up a board like that and had to RMA it.

The codes on the LED should tell you whats going on, read the manual. You're getting power to the board and it's working so I'd guess you blew out the RAM. Might try borrowing a module from a friend and try it in yours or take one of your modules and put in another computer and see if it works.

Don't know if increasing the memory settings to much would fry the CPU, but I doubt it.

I do not think using cheap, generic RAM is a good idea so use a good, quality RAM like Crucial or Kingston. I use Crucial in my 8RGA+, 8RDA and Soltek 75MRN-L and it works fine using 2100's and a Barton 2500.

You have to isolate the problem one step at the time, so first try switching modules and then we'll go from there because all we're doing now is guessing what the problem is. Read the manual and see what it says about the codes and watch the LED codes from the time you punch the power button.

I find if I simply set the fsb to 166 and memory to Auto it OC's fast enough for me and I don't have to worry about frying something. Can't push it to hard because using air cooling and like to see things nice & cool like your 46C. OldBird

Last edited:
first try to clear CMOS.
if that doesn't fix your problem copy to here the 2 letters code displayed on the red leds (bottom of the board).

This is what I've done. I reset the cmos by changing the jumper from 1-2 to 2-3, waited a couple mintues with power supply off and no battery. Then I changed the jumper back to 1-2, and got a C0, which quickley changes to a C1 on the digital pad then the motherboard starts beeping continuously. I changed the ram, same results. I changed the video card (apg) to a pci, same results. I changed the CPU (2500+) to (2100+) and got the message FF, on the digital pad. All this makes me think I blew out my CPU instead of the motherboard. Thoughts??

There are two ways to test your CPU:
Put a known good CPU on your board or put yours on another board.

mugzy0130 said:
This is what I've done. I reset the cmos by changing the jumper from 1-2 to 2-3, waited a couple mintues with power supply off and no battery. Then I changed the jumper back to 1-2, and got a C0, which quickley changes to a C1 on the digital pad then the motherboard starts beeping continuously. I changed the ram, same results. I changed the video card (apg) to a pci, same results. I changed the CPU (2500+) to (2100+) and got the message FF, on the digital pad. All this makes me think I blew out my CPU instead of the motherboard. Thoughts??

Well there's a good chance you didn't clear the CMOS with that method. You need to change that jumper with the power supply ON in my experience with the 8RDA+. Leave the battery in. The jumper is designed to work without extra assistance and probably requires the power be there to function.

Brennan is correct. If you took the battery out before you moved the jumpers there was no power to clear CMOS. Leave the battery in place, unplug it from the wall, reset the jumpers for three seconds, move them back where they normally are, plug it back in and then try to boot.

have you tried holding down the insert key and tapping the delete key while booting?
this is a quick way to get back in the bios on 8rda boards after pushing an overclock too far.
this has worked well for me anyway

yea, i tried that already. It didnt work :(. I checked all my other components video, ram, cpu, hard drive on another system and they work fine.

I just ordered an 8rda3+, does anyone know if i'll be able to get 2.3 out of my barton 2500+ on this board? On my 8rda+ I was able to get it to 2305 (200) 11.5 multiplier.

Another question, I had just purchased my 8rda+ about six months ago, but didnt registar it, can I still get an rma? And if so how do I go about doing it?

as far as i know... here is how you clear your cmos.... worked for me every single time... and no yankin the battery or unplugging the computer for extended amounts of time.

shut down
switch jumper
turn on the computer
after 10 seconds, turn off the computer
switch jumper back to normal
done.

Better double check your manuals before you do that because that is a sure fire way to fry most MB's.

Back