• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temp senor confusion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twisted Metal

Registered
I purchased a Biostar M7NCG-PRO, and after testing my water system powered up, did all the normal installs, and when i got to setting up mbm5 I found 3 choices for each of my 3 senors.

example:
  • Sensor 1
    1. WinBond 1
    2. WinBond 1 2N3904
    3. WinBond Diode
      [/list=1]
    4. Sensor 2
      1. WinBond 2
      2. WinBond 2 2N3904
      3. WinBond 2 Diode
        [/list=1]
      4. Sensor 3
        1. WinBond 3
        2. WinBond 3 2N3904
        3. WinBond 3 Diode
          [/list=1]

Now my question is, How the bloody heck do I tell which is which?
        I'm assuming that at least one of these 3's Diode would be an On-Die thermal sensor? At least so goes my hope because while powered up and under load my highest of the 3 (I'm assuming it is indeed CPU) is showing 19 degrees C, while my watercoolers thermal sensor (located in the waterblock to the right of the die) reads 27 degress C.

Call me stupid, but I would think that an On-Die would be higher in temp then a probe stuck in a recess on a waterblock. However, if I switch all the sensors in mbm5 to WinBond Diode, my highest then is indeed 43 degress C.

Confusing no?

My System Specs are in sig, no overclocks yet till I can accurately (or with some semblance there of) read my temps.

Thanks for any help,
        Twisted Metal

Well, I'm new to this board manufacturer so this info may be wrong. :D
I have the M7NCD Pro and my best guess was that the board does not read the internal diode. It may be that MBM5 does not yet support this chipset. I do remember seeing a thermister in the SocketA center and usually when that is present, the circuitry to get a reading from the diode is not supported.
BTW, I am running a TBred B 2100+ at 13x180 and idle temp from MBM5, HWDoctor and SSandra all say around 30c. I also have a thermal probe next to the core and it reports about 3 degree less, which is consistant with previous setups.
Also, it has been my experience that the internal diode will read about 5-10 degrees hotter, at least it did on the L7S7A2, so I figure at worst my cpu is at 40c idle and 53c load. Still within normal operating parameters! :cool:

Back