• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How can I test this RAM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BPM

I made a post a while back that I could not upgrade my 256 MB of RAM to 512 (using two 256 MB sticks) without seeing problems. My PC runs fine with one stick in or the other, but will not boot when both sticks of RAM are in (tried all slot combos). Yes, both sticks are identical in every way (brand, size, speed, etc.) and each stick works fine individually.

So, I would like to test this RAM in another system just to see if it is indeed the RAM that is causing problems, or just my mobo. I changed hard drives and re-installed XP and I still cannot upgrade the RAM.

To test this RAM in another system, I need to know what compatibility issues I may run into. Can I run PC 3200 RAM on a system that will only go up to PC 2700, what about the fact that its DDR, etc?

If the RAM sticks end up being ok, I'll likely be selling them and replacing with a single 512 stick.

Back