• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Page File suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AltecXP

i have 192MB PC 66 ram in my laptop w/ 400mhz p2 and 20gb HD i normaly let either windows set it or set it at 333mb set page file, but i wonw wondering if since it is rather slow ram shoudl i set it differently?

Page File Size

I usually set mine to a maximum of 2.5 times your RAM size as a rule. I sometimes have gone up to 3 times while doing intense GIS work but after that performance falls off drastically. Hope this helps.

well if its help sugestions any i only use it fofr programming(vb6, c++, html), reports, and internet. im thinking 250 should be fine. i just dont know if the fack that its 66mhz and most guids talk about 100 or 133mhz matters any

The speed of your memory should not affect the size of the pagefile you need. If you have a pretty slow HD and processor your paging will probably be slow regardless of the size.

generally i think if you have <512mb's ram make the pf 1.5-2x the amount of ram you have. 512 and > i usually kepp mine about 768 (1.5x the amoount of ram). if you have greater than 1gb i'd just match the pf to the ram, but probably wouldn't go over 1gb. you (usually) really don't need a huge massive >1gb pf, it's overkill and a waste of space. also, i would set it to one value, ie. fix it to say 768mb, 768 initial size and 768 maximum size. i would set your's to 512 probably... speed of ram doesn't matter, only amount.

people doing massive video editing etc shouldn't have less than 1gb of ram anyways, and i would apply the above to that as well.

Last edited:
Back