• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IC7-Max 3 Recommendations.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dzdncfsd

Registered
I'm in the process of building a new pc. This is way overdue since I'm currently only running a p3 600.

I picked up the following:

Abit IC7-Max 3 Mobo
CMX512-3200C2PRO (Currently only have 1 and will be adding a second)

P4 2.8 or 3.0 800fsb next week (waiting for prices to drop)
2 Raptor 10k drives Sata Raid 0
Video Card ATI 9000 (Will be upgrading in a couple of weeks to a 9800pro or 9800xt)

I'm new to overclocking and really do not want to push this thing to the point where I need extreme cooling and have to worry about the occasional crash. I want it to be extremely stable. I'll be running a Lian Li case with 4 80mm intake fans (2 front 2 side) and 3 80mm exhaust (1 top 2 rear) 4 if you count the one on the mobo. I see allot of people showing off huge oc's but I cant believe that doing this is very useful in real world performance though I could be wrong. Say I go with the 3.0 what should I expect to comfortably get out of it? Say I go with the 2.8 where should I expect to be?

System will be used for gaming, video, and photo editing (photoshop).

Appreciate the help and I hope this motherboard turns out to be as nice as I've read on these forums. Should be delivered tomorrow actually.

Of also.. If this was you and you already had the ram and board I mentioned what would you do with it? What processor? What Vid Card? etc.

I'm curious if what I'm thinking is actually the best choice in my situation.

Built my computer not so long ago. Your system setup seems to be ok but I'm afraid the PC 3200 will bring down the overclocking potential a bit. I went for the corsair Twinx PC4000 myself and I'm pleased with it but on this forum you will find a post from a guy running his P4 2.4C at 290+ mhz FSB on a 1:1 overclock virtual stock Vcore voltages and using adata pc 4000 mem.Waiting till he posts the rest of the info though on the mem voltage and cooling of the memory :) So the adata PC4000 may certaintly be worth checking out since its cheap. I'll check in here again later because i have to run :)

Xcelerator ... PC4000 @ 270 mhz FSB in a 1:1 3-4-4-8 or 3-4-4-7 if you are lucky
I did not say the other memory eliminates overclocking I said it limits it anyhow I'm not here to meassure male fertility symbols was just trying to help since nobody replied to his post so far.

My personal experience is to go with pc3500 and low latency. even if you have to go 5/4 use the tighter memory timings you'll probably get better overall system performance. With the IC7 max3 you should be able to get quite a bit of fsb out the memory at 3.2v. Just my HO.

I'm new to overclocking and really do not want to push this thing to the point where I need extreme cooling and have to worry about the occasional crash. I want it to be extremely stable.

Since he doesnt want to push things too far ...
Running a memory bar at 3.2V is not for the faint hearted, also at the moment the IC7 MAX 3 doenst take 5:4 settings too well something I hope they get fixed in coming bios upgrades. 2 Reasons why I would say to go for a bar of PC4000 or 3700 and run it at 250Mhz FSB at 250 mhz I still manage to run my memory at 2.5- 3- 3- 6 at 2.8V

I appreciate the info guys. I went ahead and returned the memory I had purchased and picked up the XMS pc4000 pro instead.

I had a question though about cpu cooling. What have people found to be the best cooling unit for this board? I know space can be an issue with the otes system so just would like to know what people have found to fit and really does a good job and keeping the cpu cool.

Lot of cooling info in the cooling section of the forum :)
Zalman and thermalright seem to be slugging it out here for the top spots atm but check the cooling section for now.

Recnelis said:

Since he doesnt want to push things too far ...
Running a memory bar at 3.2V is not for the faint hearted, also at the moment the IC7 MAX 3 doenst take 5:4 settings too well something I hope they get fixed in coming bios upgrades. 2 Reasons why I would say to go for a bar of PC4000 or 3700 and run it at 250Mhz FSB at 250 mhz I still manage to run my memory at 2.5- 3- 3- 6 at 2.8V

Probably don't need to discuss this too much considering he already got the pc4000, but if that's what you intend then there's not much reason to spend the extra bucks on the max3 unless you plan on using all six SATAs. Cheaper to go with another IC7 variant, save the money and get the same results. going to 2-2-2-5 and enabling GAT is a significant jump in performance.

I'll actually be running 2 Raptor 10k rpm Raid 0

As well as 2 120gb S-ata on Raid 0 as well.. Though I know I didn't need the MAX-3 and could have gotten by with just the G model I figured what the heck its only an extra 50.00.

I understand. the board will also work with 5/4 settings. I used that until I decided to go with 3.2v. Had no problems. Some people have had trouble with certain types of memory at 5/4 and 3/2, but it seems that all the 875 mobo are finicky about memory. I'm not sure how the IC7s do with corsair.

Edit: the reason I suggested the pc3500 or maybe buffalo pc3700 is that they have faster memory chips and you can use the tighter timings. Even at 5/4 and lower memory clock speed you'll get overall better system performance than using pc4000 and looser timings at higher memory clock speed. Like I said the IC7 will work on 5/4 if you use the right memory.

Last edited:
I have XMS 3200 corsair ram 2x256 i believe the version is 1.2 . and is rated for 400mhz or higher "forgot"
How is this ram with the IC7 max 3???

Back