• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit Boards and temperatures

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Recnelis

Registered
Been reading alot here the past 2 days (very interesting and knowledgable stuff to be found here usualy :) and ran into posts regarding abit and temperatures a few times. I assume most of you know that Abits temperatures are based on a formula rather then just reading it out as it is. You can read the details about it Here Hope some of you find this useful :)

From the article:
When the CPU junction temperature reaches approximately 135 degrees Celsius (275 degrees F), the processor will turn down itself. That is, we can say the CPU is quite safe if it is less then 135 degrees Celsius (275 degrees F).

Ummmm, wouldnt 135C pretty much fry any existing chip? Why is Abit saying that temperature is safe? Am I misreading something?

Cyberwiz01 said:

Ummmm, wouldnt 135C pretty much fry any existing chip? Why is Abit saying that temperature is safe? Am I misreading something?

This Must be a misprint on account of abit-usa. 135 degrees farenheit is a whoping 275 degrees so, imagine you, a little processor in 275 degree weather. You would die. Buy the way, this is my first post. (Pretty cheap i know but hey i wanted to post where you can see it cyberwiz01)

OH Crap i forgot to put a picture. Oh Well im going to add one now.

From my experience with the IC-7 I think the temp probes are pretty accurate for the CPU temp. I have Thermaltake Xaser III case with the Harcano, with the temp probe under the chip, touching the bottom of the core, and it reads no more that about 2 degrees celcius difference. The Harcano ususally reads higher that the Abit probe. So personally I think they are pretty close.

I've seen that page before and I wasn't helped at all. I would rather have it read out to me then some botched formula that makes the board appear read erratically compared to other boards from other companies.

My IS-7 reads 49C for idle. A probe right under the chip says 35C. A probe right next to the chip says 34C. The chip is the 2.4C in the sig. I quit paying attention to it all, except for temperature changes. My load is 65C at it's highest. The probe under the chip will say 57C, the probe next to the chip will say 53C. This is with an ambient temp of between 28~34C, which I've notcied makes no noticable/usable differance for my particular cooling setup. My PWM temps also go insane. One second they are 40C, the next second they are 68C and then go right back again to 40C. :-/

I figure if I fry it, I'll have an excuse to buy a new one.

Back