• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A question about Ram, Dont understand much about it.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

harryinny3

1- I have PC2700(512mb) Now. My Board will support PC3200. Will there be a big difference between the 2700 and the 3200?

Right now its kingston, running at 352mgz. My board manual says they suggest useing certain makes of DDR400. (maybe that because thats the only ones they tested. (Micron, Samsung,Apacer and kingston are the recomended brands.

Question 2- Could i possibly use crucial extream Memory?

Question 3- Are all memory sticks dual channel? My Friend has pc2700 (1gb) And has a dual channel board. I set it up as sincle channel because i dont know about dual channel, or if his ram is dual.

Thanks for the help folks. The memory is really the last thing i need to learn more about, to become a better Overclocker.

Harry

Also, If anyone cares to answer,

Is there a duel channel kit for my rig? Never heard of a dual channel kit, what are they?

Thanks

Harry

1) Will there be a big difference between the PC2700 and the PC3200? This depends on your system specs and overclocking goals. But, generally, PC3200 has more potental memory bandwidth if you can adjust the mem ratio and FSB to maximize DDR speed. PC2700 is rated at DDR333 and PC3200 is rated at DDR400. If you are running PC2700 at DDR352, that's not bad. Kingston, Twinmos, Corsair, OCZ, Mushkin, A-Data, etc. are generally the popular brands of RAM that overclockers currently like.

2) Probably.

3) A single stick of DDR is not dual channel. To run dual channel mode in a motherboard that supports dual channel memory (like the i865/i875 chipset mobos) you have to install the RAM modules in pairs (both sticks should be the some size and speed and preferably the same brand).

Finally, what are dual channel RAM kits? This is just a matched pair of RAM modules that supposedly has been tested to confirm they play well together. Any two sticks of RAM (if they are exactly the same) will work together in dual channel. You don't HAVE to buy a special dual channel kit.

For dual-channel you'll need two DIMM's of the same size/make/model/timings. So a dual-channel kit is basically a pair of matched DIMM's.

-edit- Damn! Batboy beat me to the punch, lol!

Thanks

Now to get some 3200. And Now maybe i can get my friends computer to run duel channel. Cool. He has the duel channel mobo. Dont know if both sticks are same, But we will see. I know they are same except maybe brand.

If i set him up As duel channel. Should the System tab show 2gb instead of 1gb when i switch him to duel? He has 1gb now.

Thanks again.

Harry

The seartch feature is awesome....

I too was wondering that same thing anout dual channel. I just got a asus a7n8x, and was wondering what exactly it did. Now to find what all these memory options in the bios are.

/hits the search button.

Back