• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Kicking Abit to the curb... but what now?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Banyan

Ok, I'm getting rather sick of my finicky board and want a change. Only thing is I just need to get by until I can make the jump to either AMD64 or Intel, which may about 4 months. I don't need a lot like firewire etc, just maybe onboard sound and lan. Thing that I am dying to know is what NF2 board is the least picky and have a good OC'ing feature set in BIOS??? As far as Abit is concerned, after using several of their boards I'm not coming back for a long time. So what mobo would you recommend? I've heard great things about the Soltek nfr2 boards, and there is of course Asus.

-Abit fanboys please keep out...

TIA.

If its not the Abit then for me it would be an Epox. I have/had a number of their KT series MBs and they worked great, fast, stable, easy to o/c. What more could you ask for?

Kinda funny in a way, as you traverse the different websites you see various "I won't own another *name your board here* cause it's a piece of ...t!"

Probably not a board mfg out there that has not made that list.

From what I see, most of the NF series boards look similar in bios as they get the bulk of the bios info from N-vidia. It's unfortunate that I can't mention the "A" word here, because they do have a very good overclocking bios. They just introduced some software to allow you to tweak without going into the bios.

The ASUS board may be worth your look at.

abit nf7 (not -S version) (the best price/cloking board)
epox 8rda+ V2.0 (must vmod and vddr mod isn't so easy)
soltek with single channel nforce (very good performance, good overclock)
asus a7n8x

Dirty_Punk said:
abit nf7 (not -S version) (the best price/cloking board)
epox 8rda+ V2.0 (must vmod and vddr mod isn't so easy)
soltek with single channel nforce (very good performance, good overclock)
asus a7n8x

Why do you say "not -S version" for NF7? I was considering an NF7-S, but will await your reply.

DmdStar said:

Why do you say "not -S version" for NF7? I was considering an NF7-S, but will await your reply.

because have no S.Ata and no Soundstorm that are quite good difference... but in overclock are equal to the -S version

I don't care A-bit about Asus, Epox, or anyone else these days
:D

but i would consider voltage options to be an important influence in choice, which is one thing Abit had one up on the comp. if you don't mind modding for more juice then just get the one with the options you want.

first off... dont get a biostar board... they blow!! ive had nothing but trouble from the ones that ive had...

now.. what ever you do get, dont go cheap on it. i did that with the current system that im running by purchasing a biostar mb and i am really kicking myself now. anyway... epox would be your next best bet... and i think.. not sure.. but think MSI makes a decent board too...

-AcidBurn-

thx guys

got an a7n8x rev2 and a msi delta to try out.

i want to try out the new epox 8rda3+ or 8RDA3G but it'll have to wait

i will say i was spoiled by the nf7's bios... has the most features i've yet to see on an nforce2 board

Last edited:
<threadjack>

Ok, well what if I DON'T want to overclock, but I just want a SUPER solid and stable NF2 board? Overclocking makes me go crazy and then I start buying cooling stuff and all these sorts of things to make airflow better, blah blah blah. By the time I'm done, I've spent $100 more than I would have, had I not been trying to swqueeze out every last Mhz of FSB.

So what boards are out there that rock, without overclocking them?

</threadjack>

Amino said:
<threadjack>

Ok, well what if I DON'T want to overclock, but I just want a SUPER solid and stable NF2 board? Overclocking makes me go crazy and then I start buying cooling stuff and all these sorts of things to make airflow better, blah blah blah. By the time I'm done, I've spent $100 more than I would have, had I not been trying to swqueeze out every last Mhz of FSB.

So what boards are out there that rock, without overclocking them?

</threadjack>

Well, then you don't belong on this forum :D

I've built several non- to mild overclock systems for friends and i would say gigabyte boards are GREAT for non overclocked systems, as well as asus, epecially a7n8x deluxe. On non-overclocked systems, board stability, as well as on-board goodies comes into much more importance and both high end gigabyte and asus motherboards PACK 'EM IN - dual lans, bunch of usb firewire connectors, extra backplates for spdif sound, etc.

Banyan

nice avatar..

and allthough i do use abit, i will not purchase from them again.

when my motherboard first came here it didn't work and the computer I just built for somebody had an abit mobo, and the very same thing happend (no boot). When they do work though, man do they work :). I was thinking of upgrading to an amd 64 mobo and proc, but did not know which one either.

I have experience with both the MSI NF2 boards. Good boards, just make sure bios is up to date. But simple to use, and red PCB!
Just another board to toss up there

MSI K7N2 Delta L
MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR

Back