• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ecs K7s5a Skt A (sis 735) Atx Ddr/sdr

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soogs

Registered
hey all! my 1st post :D

just needing some help with this mobo (Ecs K7s5a Skt A (sis 735) Atx Ddr/sdr)

basically im planning to buy it along with a 1.6ghz duron cpu.
this is a temp upgrade (im using all the bits and bobs from my current pc)

now the problem is i only got pc100sdram and i know it wont budge not even 1mhz over that.

ive been told that it is posible to leave the ram @ 100mhz and run the fsb @ 133. also ive been told that its not posible on this mobo and also from others that it is posible (sory if im not making any sense)

basically if anyone has any info on this it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

for some people it works, for most it doesnt.

I'll be totally honest with you - its budget board in every sence of the word, and ecs are well know for their below average quality control. If i were you, i wouldnt buy it at all and save up for a decent motherboard. When they work they are good little boards, but they just arn't worth the trouble anymore.

just FYI, I've been building budget workstations on this mobo all year and they're all chugging away without problems. Haven't tried any OC on this board though; no reason to. The systems are just running office apps.

Gersen

Might I suggest a worth while board like a Gigabyte or Shuttle if you're on a tight budget. I personally have a K7S5A and i DESPISE the piece of crap! It's lost the BIOS settings on numerous occasions, and quite frankly is just... A no good piece of crap!

Alot of folks seem to like this board as a budget board and have given them great reviews over at newegg. Some give them decent reviews here as well while others don't like them. If I personally just went with the philosophy of never buying a board by a manufacturer based solely on an isolated experience i had with their products then I would never be buying an Abit board ever again as out of the 4 boards by them I have owned I have had issues with three of them. But I know that overall they make a good product and I have just been unlucky. If overall most people seem to have a good go of it with this board and it is in your range then don't be turned off by some that just don't like it because of name or whatever. I have used a couple of ECS boards myself with no issues, and as I said earlier, overall the ratings for this board seem to be positive as a basic system solution. Good luck to you whichever way you go.

The early versions (non-Pro) gave me a few headaches but I have had no issues with the Pro version of this board.............

People seem to have problems with random booting, bios not keeping settings, only one ram slot works for those using SDR. Many are having problems running the 2400+ on their boards, some of these boards just don’t seem to like this processor.

mine has also given me some headaches but i gotta make do for about 12 months....i know i know but thats life im hoping the xp2400 will work for me and increase its life span before i take a hammer to it!,anyway use the cheepoman bios to give you some settings on the fsb and you should be ok....maybe:)

Mine works fine also, most of the boards are fine but there are a large number of boards that have these probs.

I like mine. So far the only problem I have had since using this board was my Boot.ini got corrupted.

But then I spent such a little bit on this board I fully expected to be dissappointed with it and plan on it being gone ina year tops.

Mike

sorry for such the late reply :eek:

id like to thank all those who have replied :)

i did end up getting that mobo and it served me well for about half a year... maybe more untill i started working and upgraded to an abit nf7 and a barton :)

thanks again

I have the pro version of this board and mines work fine. had it for almost 2 years. I have 512MB 2700 DDR.

I've just looked at my post in 2003 and i've still got this board. have just put an 80 gig barracuda an win xp (at last) in my rig and guess what....it boots fine. Now i need it to last at least 2 more years.
struggling with what graphics card to purchase as it only has a 4x AGP slot.

diddydo75 said:
I've just looked at my post in 2003 and i've still got this board. have just put an 80 gig barracuda an win xp (at last) in my rig and guess what....it boots fine. Now i need it to last at least 2 more years.
struggling with what graphics card to purchase as it only has a 4x AGP slot.

AGP8x should work... dang this is an old thread too :p

Back