• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-8IPE1000 OC questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hunka27

Registered
i've had this board for a couple months now, i just got a new 2.6C P4 and i'm trying to overclock but i'm confused. In the overclocking settings i see the Bus setting, DIMM overvoltage, AGP over voltage and Core voltage. I've been messing around with the settings raising the core and the DIMM and i can only seem to get the bus to 235 and who knows if that will even be stable. I haven't even bothered with Prime95 yet.

i'm looking on here and see people taking about some ratio and other settings i don't see anywhere in my bios. also i see something about locking the AGP or something and i don't see anything for that either. I see people getting this chip much much higher then this so there must be something i can do.

I'm using watercooling so i should be able to handle plenty... the temperature is fine at the current settings, not much higher then stock. thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forums.

Most P4s have the multiplier locked. I have only seen a rare few that are unlocked. ( usually Intels own chips ) Thats why there isnt an adjustment. You should be able to do pretty good with just the FSB. 235 is pretty good. The people talking about multipliers are using AMD chips.

Before you start changing voltages, I would run a buch of tests. Just to be safe. AGP lock is usually a good thing. That will lock the PCI bus the AGP bus so that overclocking the CPU doesnt overclock everthing on the board. A good thing to start with is the memory timings. They can make a big difference on test scores and such. I hope this helps a little. Good luck.

Edit: It maybe just my board but my BIOS temps are way off. My BIOS shows 25C and I know thats not right. Its really around 30C.

i know about the multiplier in Intel is locked. what i am seeing other people have is the same chip and or motherboard i do. if i don't change any voltages i can't even boot up at 215. stock is 2600 mhz and the average OC in the cpu database is 3474mhz. and i said i keep seeing about AGP lock but i don't know what that is.. and i don't know what memory timings are. if you have my board maybe you can explain what the settings are...

My board has the same things. AGP lock will lock the BUS freqency to the AGP, PCI, and the SRC clock. This is almost a must if you are using SATA drives. This will keep the increase in FSB from overclocking the AGP, PCI and SATA at the same time.

Memory timings can be found in the BIOS by pressing CTRL+F1 at the first BIOS screen. That should open a lot of other adjustments. Here is a good place to start reading. Here is another good read on memory timings.

As far as the FSB problem, what block are you using on the CPU?

Last edited:
In the bios under the Frequency Control there is a heading with AGP/PCI/SRC Fixed as the title. In that menu you pick the settings you want it to be locked at. 66/33/100 is what I have mine set at.

Youll want to change the ram dividers. If you do not you are running your ram at 235*2 MHz which is most likely too high for the ram you are running. Look around for a 5:4 or a 0.8 ram divider/frequency option

The AGP/PCI/SRC lock on my board doesnt even work. I have mine set to 66/33/100 and my PCI bus is still getting OCed. Thats if my software is right.

Same questions

I have the same motherboard and don't really understand the how our motherboard BIOS settings are adjustable to the ratios that I see on these Forums. I have my AGP/PCI/whatever set to auto, which I guess they increase because when I use Easytune 4 to observe my frequency, I notice that my AGP is at 91 and PCI at 45. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think increasing the FSB will ultimately increase the speeds of all parts of the motherboard. In the manual, it looks like the memory frequency is depended on the speed of the CPU, doesn't look like that can be adjusted alone. If anybody can help explain how Gigabyte's BIOS adjustments work......

Increasing the FSB will increase the bus to everything else. Thats why they have the AGP/PCI/SRC adjustments, so you can lock the other buses and not OC the PCI cards, AGP card, and SATA HDD.

js341: do you have a PCI card in your PC? If so, Im guessing the lock is working. I wouldnt think too many PCI cards could work with a bus that high.

I just have a Modem on my PCI

I agree about the PCI being that high but that’s what Easytune4 is reading to me. I also understand what memory settings the motherboard allows. It has a multiplier to set the frequency of the RAM and it depends on the CPU bus speed. I don't see a RAM divider setting available. But can you explain what that does... I'm also running in 1gig dual channel, is that suppose to act faster or act like I have more ram than I should?

I havent had the chance to really play with memory dividers.
Most likely, you will have 3 settings. 2.0, 1.6, and 1.33. Memory dividers and the multiplier you are talking about are the same thing. ( anyone correct me if I am wrong here, please ) As you mess with it some, youll see your memory speeds change. Its all in matching the memory clock cycles to the cpu clock cycles. Here is good place to check if you want.

If you have two 512m sticks each in the corresponding slots, you are running Dual Channel DDR. ( one in each bank ) Dual DDR has bus lines running to each set of DIMMs. So if you place a DIMM in separate banks, you are actully using two memory buses at the same time. ( doubling the bandwidth of data transfered between the cpu and the memory ) What Dual DDR does, is allow the cpu to access two sticks of memory at the same time. Simply, it will make your memory faster.

I hope this helps some. Good luck

Back