• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need major help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fragile-x

Registered
hi all...i have:

MB: GIGABYTE 7N400-L1 SOCKETA NFORCE2 DUAL DDR400 AGP 5PCI ATA133 SOUND LAN

Chip: AMD ATHLON XP 2500+ 512K 333FSB SOCKET A

VC: geforce 4 4200ti

I have always overclocked my stuff but this time i can't even figure out how to find out what speed the chip is currently running at. when i start up it just says amd 2500+

I can't run the overclocking software...it simply won't run on my computer....just errors when i try run it

anybody know how to overclock (or find out what speed is at now)...plus any recommendations for settings i should use, including the video card

thanks

Fragile-x,
In all honesty my first suggestion to you is going to be to read your manual, alot of the settings and overclocking questions that youre gonna have are answerd there.

Your first statement is absolutely puzzling, Youve allways overclocked, yet you cant interpert what speed your cpu is when it says 2500+, ?? you lost me on that one.

Most users with the gigabyte nforce2 boards are overclocking to xp3200 speeds at 11x200 or more, some needing voltage, and or ram timings adjustements;)

Forget the easytune software, it is only good for viewing voltages and temps, you are running a major risk attempting to o/c thur windows.

What may be of more importance is the brand and quality of power supply that you have, the quality and brand of memory that you have, and what your complete system specs are:eek:

Here are some links with good information for you to check out
http://mysite.freeserve.com/hoodspages/useful_links_page.htm

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29691

Whatever you do, should you decide to update the bios, use q flash.

My last suggestion: Read your manual
:D

first things first

ok that sounds good ...i will definately read the manual...after that i will post all my specs and get some further help...
what i meant is that i have always overclocked my previous computers but since i got this noew MB i can't figure it out....i'm definately not a pro at it that's for sure....
anyway i'll be back after i read the manual
later

Fragile-x,
Have you had a chance to chek out those links specific to the giag boards?

yup

just looking at them now....i read some of my manual last night...i must admit i have never updated my bios before so this is a little new to me....can you tell me where i can find out the current speed that my chip is running at?

i just ran cpu-z and here is what it tells me:
core speed: 1909.9
mult: 11
fsb: 173.6
bus: 347.3

ok i'll look for bios update....will that screw up my windows install...will i lose data? noob question in know...
also will the old bios remain as the backup in dual bios?

Fragile-x,
Ok, so now you know what speed your cpu is running at:)

Be aware that when you flash to f5 that your reported cpu temp will increase by approx 15c;)

Make sure and read the bios flashing guide in the nforcers faq link, and post back if you have questions;) Also when you get into your bios flash menu (f8) have a blank formatted floppy available to back up your current bios to floppy;)

Follow the steps in the guide and you should be fine:D

Once youre fine with the new bios, go back and flash the backup bios as well.

You do realize that you are allready slightly overclocked?

i got the fsb set to 184 and now my speed is at 2014 this is without touching the voltage or anything....the multiplier is also still at 11x because i can't find how to change it....
i don't have a floppy drive so i will have to go get one in order to update bios....can this fsb do any damage...system seems to be hummin along now...still quite stable....

You can use the @BioS utility and flash from within windows. Make sure you choose the update from file option and NOT internet update option. As DaFanMan says always make sure you have your main BIOS working correctly before flashing the backup.
Running that FSB wont do anything any harm, well there is always a risk to OCing but nowadays really that risk is tiny. Also its not the FSB that would be the problem, it would be the overall clock of your CPU.
The multi is changed by dips on the mobo and really as you have DDR400 you want to get the FSB to atleast 200, you may have to drop the multi down to 10x or 10.5x.
Hood

ok yah i saw those switches on the mobo....so get the fsb upto about 200 and decrease the multi if necessary.....people have been saying not to use @BioS....but as i have no floppy maybe that's the only option

I have used @BioS hundreds of times and never had a prob, I think most of the probs people have is when they use the Internet update option. I suppose there is always a risk when using it and really its best to use it when the system is set back to defaults rather than with an OC, but I dont usually bother.
Hood

done

ok guys,....i updated the bios with @BioS to the f5 version from GGB website...not online method....and i set my multiplier to 10.5x and my fsb to 200
start upsays 3000+ and my cpu is now at 2091 approx....i'm starting to get happier now...
can i still keep pushing my fsb up until it gets unstable and then back off.....will it get unstable before it meltsdown...so to speak?

btw thanks for all the support

Fragile-x,
depends which way you want to go,
You could continue to try to raise fsb allthough I think youre gonna find the sweet spot to be 11x200 for 2.2ghz or xp3200 speeds.

Keep in mind that youre still just running the stock amd hsf, and that is not reccomended for overclocking:eek:

yah for sure....the fan is an issue....i had a really sweet fan from zalmen i think but the MB is lacking the correct holes for fan installation so i had to sell the fan...should have checked first..lol....
i'll get a new one....any recommendations? not too expensive please....

Fragile-x,
Best bet is to go online, lets say newegg or zipzoomfly, and assuming that youre going for xp3200 speed, look for a copper hsf that meets those needs.

Coolermaster Aero7+ or Aero7 lite seem to work well and are extremely quiet when fan is on low speed. The lite is an Ally version of the + but in a lot of reviews it seems to perform better than the +, strange I know but even better its half the price.
Hood

Back