• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit IC7-MAX3 - USB booting?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aspe

Registered
Sorry if I´ve missed this in any earlier thread, but if you own a MAX3, you probably know:
Do MAX3 have boot option "USB Floppy" or similar in the bios setup?
I´m thinking of leaving the "floppy era", but I´m afraid I´ll miss some of the "old" usable floppy features. What do you think?

Could a USB-mem. be used as a start-up/boot disk?

I will be getting this board in shortly - I have a 16mb Sony Micro Vault, I will copy some startup files onto it and see if it boots, or if the option even exists.

I haven't tried my USB memory yet - however, you would be able to create a 'boot cdrom' and use that instead of the floppy. (Search the forums, I saw a post on this)

tnx for the tip - ít´s still of interest if USB boot works.
been thinking - if a portable USB floppy (Teac) would be used, the same question is appropriate ... , or?

There's an option on the IC7 Max3 that specifically says "USB-FDD." I copied over Win98 boot disk files onto my 16mb micro vault, and couldn't get it to boot. (system didn't even attempt)

tnx for your attempt!
that´s strange ..., it didn´t respond though you have an OS installed already, incl. any necessary USB-driver ...
I could understand if you have a clean HD - it´s from there I´m wondering if USB works.
did you select USB as first choise in the setup for the booting?

Did you change your USB settings in the BIOS to USB controlled by OS to BIOS???? That could be a hugh factor in getting USB-Floppy to work properly...

Last edited:
No, I didn't - I'll grab the Micro vault from work and test it out when I get a chance. (I do have XP installed on my HD)

(On 2nd look, there is no USB controlled by BIOS on the IC7 Max3, and there's no generic "usb" boot option, each one is assigned with a device, ie. USB-FDD)

Last edited:
oh yeah... You shouldn't even need an OS to boot from USB... just a properly formated USB Key w/ the start-up files needed to boot to a Prompt... I've been waiting for years to get rid of the old floppy drive... I'm really surprised that LS-120 never really caught on... Much faster than floppy and it held 120mb... Oh well... Wait until RF-Boot comes about... then you can boot from your PDA and never even need to hook anything up... You could change your paramiters on the fly... Sorry... Was getting side tracked in my own strange thoughts...

But yeah don't need OS just a good formated start-up USB-Key...

It should boot just fine. I have the IC7 and I can boot from my 256Mb USB drive. You have to get a USB drive that can be bootable and not just any USB drive. There's a software from the USB vendor that sets up the drive to be bootable and copies the system files over.

Back