• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building MAX3 box, could use advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

psilocybn

It's been 4 years since since I built my last system, so I would appreciate it if I could get some feedback before I order this? I probably won't OC right off the bat, but I might in the near future...just want to avoid having a really LOUD rig.

ABIT IC7-Max3, Intel 875P chipset for Socket 478 800MHz Canterwood ATX motherboard $210
Intel Pentium 4 / 2.8CGHz 512k socket 478 Hyper Threading Technology 800 MHz FSB $259
Mushkin 1GB PC 3500 Level 2 Dual Pack (2x512MB) CAS2-2-2 Black, Part# 991098 $289
(2) Western Digital Raptor 36GB SATA WD360GD 10,000 RPM 8MB Hard Drive $224
ATI All-In-Wonder RADEON 9800 PRO 128MB DDR 8X AGP $376
Antec Power supply True480 with Blue LED Fan $86
Teac 1.44MB 3.5 Inch Floppy Drive # FD235HFC291 $8
Lite On 48x24x48x16 CDROM/CDRW/DVD Combo Drive LTC-48161H $49
Plextor 8X DVD-RW +RW DVD Recorder - Beige Model PX-708A $235
Lian-Li PC-65 Silver Aluminum $158
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS PCI Internal Sound Card $93

TOTAL= $1,987

http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=364102

Thats basically the exact same system I'm in the process of building other then different brand burner and floppy. I also went witht he pc4000 corsair memory just to help out with the future overclocking.

looks to be a good setup. You might want to wait a week or 2 before purchasing the processor though. Intel is expected to drop the price on the current P4's by almost 30%. The 3.0 will be around the current price of the 2.8 and the 2.8 should be around 190ish.

I'm also not planning on a huge over clock but would like to get the 3.0 up around 3.3 or so as long as its extremely stable and does not require 12 fans inside my case to keep it cool.

If your looking for a place to make the purchase I recommend NewEgg.com. I picked up my Motherboard, memory, and PSU this week off their site.. Ordered sunday morning and it was delivered to me on tuesday (Free Shipping).

dzdncfsd said:
Thats basically the exact same system I'm in the process of building other then different brand burner and floppy. I also went witht he pc4000 corsair memory just to help out with the future overclocking.

looks to be a good setup. You might want to wait a week or 2 before purchasing the processor though. Intel is expected to drop the price on the current P4's by almost 30%. The 3.0 will be around the current price of the 2.8 and the 2.8 should be around 190ish.

I'm also not planning on a huge over clock but would like to get the 3.0 up around 3.3 or so as long as its extremely stable and does not require 12 fans inside my case to keep it cool.

If your looking for a place to make the purchase I recommend NewEgg.com. I picked up my Motherboard, memory, and PSU this week off their site.. Ordered sunday morning and it was delivered to me on tuesday (Free Shipping).

Picking out memory has been the most frustrating part about this system. I originally was set on Corsair(CH5 memory), but a lot of folks are saying that it doesn't overclock well on the IC7 boards. I then began looking around and was considering OCZ. I ended up choosing Mushkin 1GB PC 3500 Level 2 Dual Pack (2x512MB) CAS2-2-2 Black, Part# 991098 that is supposedly a BH5 type, but I'm still not comfortable with that decision... I am also not out to do any HUGE overclocks to where I need water cooling OR so many fans that it drives me crazy.

I would like to buy this system ASAP, but I'm going to try and wait for the processor price drop so I can pick up a 3.0ghz chip. I also hear they are releasing the 72g 10k rpm sata raptors very soon. I would like to pick up a couple of those if the price isn't too outrageous.

Does newegg have free shipping on just certain parts occasionally? or all parts?

I think the free shipping is usually just on certain items. The memory, motherboard, processor look to be free. But even the shipping they do charge is very reasonable.

Ya memory can be a pain in the ***. I just stuck with the corsair because I've had good experience with it and since I do not plan on overclock it by too much. Hopefully I'll have purchased everything by next weekend. Basically just watching for the price drop on the CPU and then I'm ordering the rest of my parts.

My advice to you would be to NOT buy any is7-ic7 boards until abit straightens out their voltage problems. It is a known hardware issue and bios will not fix it.

Alot of the reviews on these abit mobos are B.S. I have been through 3 IC7-G's and 2 IC7-MAX3's. If you do not trust my advice go to abits forums. www.abit-usa.com

Back