• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Graphics instability when overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lbbo2002

IS-7 Graphics instability when overclock

Using an IS-7 with a 2.4C and just starting the overclock at 233 graphics just cuts out on the 3dtests. Screen freeks(artifacts) and locks up after a while. Graphis are Ok at 225 and below.

Prime95 runs OK with no errors @233 for 6 hrs so I don't think its the CPU.

CPU - 800
Have Fixed APG/PCI lock
PAT - auto, normal, auto, disabled, disabled

OCZ Gold 3700 memory dual 256 (512 meg) (memtests fine at 233) set at 1:1 (5:4 didn't fix it)
Abit 4200 graphics (worked fine with the 2.66b @ 3.2)
350Watt PSU
Samsung 52x CDRW
floppy
900U heat sink w/110 CFM delta max 48C
4 50CFM other case fans

Tried bumping CPU voltage .1, Mem to max, APG to Max and nothing is working.

Could it be the power supply, even though the rails seem OK in MB and Bios?

Never had this happen so anyone have any idea? Just doesn't seem to be the CPU.

Last edited:
They say if you wait long enough it just comes to ya :eek:

Well I must not have tried some of the settings at once! Note to self don't overclock tired and write the settings down :eek:, saves alot of frustration.

I am now running at FSB 275 @ 1.675v, 5:4 memory 2,6,3,3 which I think is the max stable for this CPU/memory combo.

CPU 2.4 Q320A425 SL6WF. Average looks like. Not a super chip like my 2.53b's but not bad either.

The problem ended up being the memory setting of 1:1 and CPU needed a bump to 1.575 to run 233. Once I set memory to 5:4 I was able to run up to 270 without bumping CPU voltage.

First time a overclock scambled my 3d tests instead of locking right up or terminating the run when memory issues were the culprit.

Live and learn, time to play with the PAT settings to see how this chip/combo compares to the other IS7 with a 2.53B

yeah, strange how things you wouldnt consider affect your systems stability when overclocking. for instance, when i upped the agp voltage alittle suddenly the fsb and memory will run at 285.

Re: IS-7 Graphics instability when overclock

lbbo2002 said:
Using an IS-7 with a 2.4C and just starting the overclock at 233 graphics just cuts out on the 3dtests. Screen freeks(artifacts) and locks up after a while. Graphis are Ok at 225 and below.

Prime95 runs OK with no errors @233 for 6 hrs so I don't think its the CPU.

CPU - 800
Have Fixed APG/PCI lock
PAT - auto, normal, auto, disabled, disabled

OCZ Gold 3700 memory dual 256 (512 meg) (memtests fine at 233) set at 1:1 (5:4 didn't fix it)
Abit 4200 graphics (worked fine with the 2.66b @ 3.2)
350Watt PSU
Samsung 52x CDRW
floppy
900U heat sink w/110 CFM delta max 48C
4 50CFM other case fans

Tried bumping CPU voltage .1, Mem to max, APG to Max and nothing is working.

Could it be the power supply, even though the rails seem OK in MB and Bios?

Never had this happen so anyone have any idea? Just doesn't seem to be the CPU.
using ti g-card?...Set AGP freq at say....67-80mhz, try 70 it worked for me, but i was benching over 300FSB, but it can be the probbs..good luck:D

Thanks for the replies. Working on PAT stuff now... still have problems with anything over 270 but I can prime just fine up to 280FSB but I lock up on a soft boot. I think its the northbrigde since a reboot is hanging me up.

Back