• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1Gb HyperX PC3200 BH-5 OR Mushkin Promo PC3200 BH-5 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OSFP

Hi, I wanna get 1Gb BH-5 , and unfortunately I can't get Buffalo so don't suggest it (I live in Europe).
Ok, so I got 2 choices both at the same money , 332 euros , so there is no price difference, just suggest which will be best :

1st Choice : Kingston HyperX PC3200 (the K2 not AK2 2-2-2-6 default timmings which are supposed to be BH-5 )

2nd Choice : Mushkin Promo PC3200 BH-5 from
http://www.pc-memory-upgrade.co.uk/special-offers.html

They got the 512Mb stick for 164 euros so 2 such sticks = 328 +4 shipping = 332 , same price.

So the Pros and Cons the way I see it :
Kingston is a matched set (although I've heard sets are BS).
Kingston has heatspreaders, the Mushkin promo does not.
Mushkin is promised BH-5 , kingston is not (although everybody says the non-A with 2-2-2-6 timmings is BH-5)
Mushkin might be bad quality because they sell it cheap and without heatspreaders compared to the other Mushkin prices they got...

So can I get your view on the subject, on which should I get?
I am leaning towards the Kingston but I would like your opinions...

If you have anything else to suggest (BH-5 like) feel free to do so, but not before you confirm it does exist in europe and at a competitive price...

I'd go for the Mushkins they come with a heatspreader (purple or black) and you're 100% sure they have BH-5 chips.

But if you can buy the kingston in a local store you can always check if they come with bh-5...
so you don't have to take the risk to pay in advance (getting ripped off)
I heard the hyperx pc3000 are still shipped with bh-5 (I'm not 100% sure about this can anyone confirm??)

Fellesis :

1) This is a special deal for mushkin and they come without heatspreaders! and there is also suspicion that they might just be bad OC performance modules since they cost about 30% less than normal BH-5 mushkin modules...

2) The Kingston can be found at a local store but I can't check their chips because they wont let me take out the heatspreaders...however the KHT3200K2 code seems to be 100% BH-5 ...

3) The Kingston PC3000 costs 10 euros less than the PC3200 so there is not any point to risk...

I expect more answers...help me plz...I would like to buy them in a few hours...(or order them in case of mushkin...)

Mushkin doesn't sell bh-5 memory without heatspreaders. I think these modules came with damaged heatspreaders and were to my suspect removed. The oc performance isn't affected by the lack of a heatspreader though...

I wouldn't call it a risk buying kinston pc3000 they perform as well as the pc3200 modules. There's a review at the bleeding edge of this memory.

According to the kingston site there is only a k2 and not a ak2 of pc3000. So I assume there's only pc3000 with winbond bh-5.

Mushkin did sell bh5 without heatspreaders for about a month. 140$ a 512 stick. I don't believe there were any 256meg sticks.

HyperX Pc3000 should all be BH5 or possibly some early modules were BH6. Revision A00 will have chips labled kingston with a W somewhere indicating winbond... A01 leaves the standard Winbond label on the chips. The revision A00 performs very well, but takes a good bit of voltage (over 2.8v) to really open up... The A01 seems to perform just as well at slightly lower voltages.

A friend of mine bought HyperX PC3000 and they had samsung chips...

But anyway, the PC3200 go for 332 and PC3000 for 330 , so there is no need to risk...

Generally try to give me your opinion on the subgect....get the mushkin or the hyperx ?

Please help because I plan to go buy them tomorow morning ...

I usually always will say go for Mushkin as its great ram but in this case I say go for the HyperX. That is unless you can easily return the promo if needed, I'm not sure how it will work in Europe for that. If you have to send it back to Mushkin it could get really expensive and they don't have any more to replace it as far as I know. It was the BH-5 chips they usually sell just on a cheaper mass production board so I heard too many stories about it not running at even stock.

I would go for the HyperX if you are going to choose from those two. But my real advice would be to save a little longer and buy some real Mushkin. :)

Wannaoc , thx for your answer, i think i'll stay far from these promo mushkins...

Now, its noti like I dont have the money to get the real mushkin...i got more than 1500 euros that i can spend whenever I want. The thing is, I always limit myself and set a budget...cause I ain't gonna pay the best if it ain't worth it...

This is a budget PC (barton 2500+ ...etc) so I ain't gonna pay the 400+ euros that mushkin lvl2 wants to get almost the same performance from the 100 euros cheaper hyperX...

Just like I didn't pay 150 euros more for radeon 9800 pro , just to get 600 3dmarks more than the 9700 pro...

So I think i'll go for the hyperX ... plus i can get it from a local store, something which will ease up possible replacements, and I will have it same day :)

If anyone wants to add his opinion, he's welcome, however after what WannaOc said about the mushkins i think i'll stick with the hyperX...

Shame there's no Newegg-Europe, as you could get 2x256MB Buffalo PC3700 (w/ BH-5) for only $116 (~98 Euros) here. Although the 512MB modules seem to be forever out of stock, when they are in stock they sell for $99-103 (~170 Euros for 1GIG).

If your using a 2500+, the HyperX 3000 or Hyper 3200 would be best for you. If you do get the HyperX 3200, make sure (as you say you will) you check the product for KHX3200K2/1G (for a 1GIG pair) and not KHX3200AK2/1G. The HyperX3000, I have heard, seems to only be selling with BH-5 chips, as these are generally older (and less popular - thus less production) then the HyperX 3200.

yes its a real shame there is no shop like newegg in europe :( I hate it...

I know about the AK2 being CH-5 ...i will et the non-A , but thx anyway.

Back