• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking my old 733MHz on Cuv4x

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Flav_cool

Registered
Hi,

I recently tried overclocking my Asus Cuv4x Motherboard. Because the multiplier is locked at 5.5, I went on to increase the FSB speed. The default was 133MHZ and the default Core Voltage was 1.65V. At first I increased the FSB to 144MHz and everything was going great until my dad started working and opened up CorelDraw, Autocad and so on. At this point the computer restarted so I realized it's not stable at this voltage. Today I increased the voltage to 1.75 and went up to 148MHz. It worked great for 3 hours just idling or small programs. I then played Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002 for about 10 minutes and the sucker restarted. After this I lowered the FSB to 146MHz with the same voltage. I tried the game again, but instead of the computer restarting the game just quit to the desktop.

My questions:

1. When increasing FSB, by how much should the voltage be increased, is there a percentage by which it should be increased?

2. If anyone knows the Cuv4x, how much core voltage can it take safely?

3. What does it mean when the computer restarts as a result of overclocking? What does it mean when it just exits to the desktop?

4. What is a safe temperature for this particular motherboard to be at? I had it at around 40-50 celsius when gaming or heavy applications when overclocked and around 30 when it's normal.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help,

Flaviu

Hi flav, I could maybe help you some...

I've never used any formula for vcore increase/FSB...I just up it some if it restarts or CTDs. Unless you have good upgraded cooling on the CPU, I wouldn't go above 1.75v. You asked how much vcore the MB will take...the better question is what will the CPU take and that depends entirely on your cooling. Decide how much risk you really want to take with it but I probably wouldn't go over 1.85 regardless of cooling, especially on Dad's work computer, unless he's ready to buy a new one anyway :D

It always seemed to me that a CTD meant it needed just a little more vcore, restarts means it needs a little more than that or you're pushing the limits of the CPU. If you're brave and have the cooling, try 146MHz/1.80 vcore. Otherwise stick to the 144MHz/1.75, that's still a decent overclock for a 733EB.

Cheers

Back